News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would a party split benefit the Republicans?

Started by Syt, November 07, 2012, 02:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2012, 09:40:54 PM
Exactly, and there's something to be said about continuity in crisis;  just as Dubya got a pass to maintain the GWOT, Obama's been given the benefit of the doubt to let his strategy continue to develop. 

Actually isn't that more like most of us are only peripherally touched by the GWOT so we tend not to think about it much?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2012, 09:39:04 PM
The libertarian party often draws in Repubs.
Oh I know.  But for a conservative to vote Libertarian in protest at the Republicans modernising their views on social issues and immigration is like a leftie voting Libertarian because the Democrats are modernising theirs on the economy.  They both agree with a bit of the Libertarian party's views, but not the bit they're unhappy about.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2012, 09:46:47 PM
Exactly, and there's something to be said about continuity in crisis;  just as Dubya got a pass to maintain the GWOT, Obama's been given the benefit of the doubt to let his strategy continue to develop. 

Actually isn't that more like most of us are only peripherally touched by the GWOT so we tend not to think about it much?

I wasn't referring to Obama's strategy on the GWOT. 

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2012, 09:47:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2012, 09:46:47 PM

I wasn't referring to Obama's strategy on the GWOT. 

Oh gotcha. Sorry I'm rather tired. :blush:

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2012, 09:47:44 PM
Oh I know.  But for a conservative to vote Libertarian in protest at the Republicans modernising their views on social issues and immigration is like a leftie voting Libertarian because the Democrats are modernising theirs on the economy.  They both agree with a bit of the Libertarian party's views, but not the bit they're unhappy about.

At their core, I think a lot of republicans just don't want to pay taxes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2012, 09:52:30 PM

Isn't that generally true of everyone?  Like California's recent election where they voted to put taxes on the rich but then thoroughly defeated the prop to raise everyone's taxes.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2012, 09:36:38 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 08, 2012, 08:50:11 PM
Any Democrat president is going to he tough to defeat when the Democrat Party has its turnout machine running in full gear.  No amount of GOP pandering on immigration and social issues would overcome that.  Unless the GOP just becomes another Democrat Party, in which case I officially become Libertarian.
In response to the GOP 'pandering' on immigration and social issues you'd switch to a party that wants to legalise drugs, supports open immigration laws and is far more radically pro-gay than even most Democrats? :blink:

I'm a social and economic conservative.  But if forced to choose in these times I'll go with economic.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2012, 09:53:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2012, 09:50:25 PM
Oh gotcha. Sorry I'm rather tired. :blush:

S'aight. Should've been more explanatory.

I fucked up and had a G&T around 5:30 with no follow-up alcohol. I'm fading fast and my take out still isn't here!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2012, 09:55:28 PM
I fucked up and had a G&T around 5:30 with no follow-up alcohol. I'm fading fast and my take out still isn't here!

Face plant into the moo goo gai pan in 15 minutes, on my mark *click*

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on November 08, 2012, 09:55:28 PM
I'm a social and economic conservative.  But if forced to choose in these times I'll go with economic.
Okay.  But your issue was with the GOP 'pandering' on social issues and immigration.  Surely the assumption's that they stay the same on economic issues.  So to protest their incorrect social views, you'd support a far more socially radical party that supports your economic views too, even though that hurts the big tent party with acceptable views on economic policy?

Again I'm confused.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2012, 08:40:20 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2012, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2012, 07:58:44 PM
Republicans losing an election to an incumbent president 50%-48% hardly seems a good reason to blow up or splinter the party.

Keeping a solid majority in the house reinforces that. I'm not sure how they lost ground in the senate, but that probably has more to do with them running incompetent candidates rather than a long term brand issue.
For a start they've lost against a President who doesn't have great approval ratings, during an economically difficult period - this is when oppositions should win. 

This has to be stressed. Incumbents in most western nations have been swatted like flies since the recession began. Obama was in a weak position.
Not in North America they haven't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2012, 09:54:34 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2012, 09:52:30 PM

Isn't that generally true of everyone?  Like California's recent election where they voted to put taxes on the rich but then thoroughly defeated the prop to raise everyone's taxes.

Basing your entire ideology around avoiding doing what you need to do seems a bit irresponsible.  I was going to make an analogy that lots of kids don't like going to school, but you don't make that a national issue to indulge that childish desire, but then I realized, Republicans do make that a national issue with their home schooling bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017