Evo tries to out-batshit Chavez (Bolivian Tunnel to the Sea)

Started by Viking, May 15, 2009, 12:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

It seems that a plot to build a 150km tunnel from land locked Bolivia to an artificial island in the pacific.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8049814.stm

QuoteA tunnel to unite old rivals?

By Veronica Smink
BBC Mundo, South America

Plans for a tunnel linking Bolivia to the Pacific Ocean have been unveiled by three architects who say it could put an end to a 130 year-old dispute between the landlocked country and its neighbour, Chile.

The three Chilean architects claim the tunnel would allow Bolivia to regain access to the sea since it was defeated by Chile in the Pacific War in 1879.

This has been one of Bolivia's main demands for years, and is still strongly voiced by current President Evo Morales.

The 150km (93 miles) tunnel would run from the Bolivian border to an artificial island created in the Pacific Ocean from earth dug to build the tunnel.

The Chilean Foreign Minister, Mariano Fernandez, has given the green light to further studies into the project, saying that Chile "is open to all suggestions that foster Latin American integration".

The Bolivian government has yet to give its view.

'Poetic idea'

The plan was proposed by Chilean architects Carlos Martner, Fernando Castillo Velasco and Humberto Eliash.
" The only barriers to overcome are political "
Architect Humberto Eliash

Mr Eliash, the youngest of the three men, told the BBC that the idea came from an "informal chat" with his two colleagues, both of whom are famous architects in Chile.

"Poets say that we must build a bridge between Bolivia and the Pacific that jumps over Chile. We wanted to see if it could work in reality," he says.

Long tunnels are being planned around the world to connect places such as Russia and the US (through the Bering Strait), China and Taiwan, Tunisia and Sicily as well as Spain and Morocco, he adds.

"There is little doubt that the technical challenges can be solved. I think the economic problems can also be sorted out. The only barriers to overcome are political," he says.

But those political hurdles are huge in one of the few regions in South America where territorial disputes are still alive.

According to the plan, the tunnel would run under the so-called Line of Concord which separates Chile and Peru.

The reason, the architects say, is that this is an area free of mines or cables which could potentially complicate the project.

But both Peru and Chile dispute the border.

To go ahead, the project would also need the approval of Peru.

And there are doubts about whether there would be the political will at a time when Peru and Bolivia are arguing about Peru's decision to grant asylum to former opposition leaders from Bolivia.

In addition, the artificial island would be created in waters claimed both by Peru and Chile.

And both countries have recently taken a row over coastal waters to the International Court of Justice in The Hague.

Sovereignty

However the architects believe this is another reason for Bolivia, Peru and Chile to agree on the project.

Chile and Peru would have to agree that Bolivia would have sovereignty over the tunnel, Mr Eliash says. And that in turn would open up discussions about the complex issues of immigration and security.

But the architect believes that other examples of tunnels linking different countries around the world have forced governments to update their view on these issues.

"These are the real issues of the 21st Century. But I believe that most fascinating of all is that if we can imagine it we can do it," he says.

I can't help thinking that being polite to your neighbour and not letting 130 year old disputes stop the peaceful progress of your country. Come on. In a similar amount of time Alsace-Lorraine has switched hands between France and Germany 4 times.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Romance languages make you stupid.  France blocked peace in Europe until they got back Alsace-Lorraine.  Spaniards snivel about Gibraltar.  Argentinians claim that pretty much everything on Earth south of the equator should be ruled by them.  Italians have failed in every conceivable way for hundreds of years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2009, 01:10:38 PM
France blocked peace in Europe until they got back Alsace-Lorraine. 

Based on starting POPs in Victoria, I would have to conceed Alsace-Lothringen should be French.  :frog:

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2009, 01:10:38 PMFrance blocked peace in Europe until they got back Alsace-Lorraine.

How exactly did they do that?  Is this one of those batshit anti-Western conspiracy theories the Germans spread to hide their own spectacular idiocy?

Anyway this was the plan of some Chileans not Evo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2009, 01:24:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2009, 01:10:38 PMFrance blocked peace in Europe until they got back Alsace-Lorraine.

How exactly did they do that?  Is this one of those batshit anti-Western conspiracy theories the Germans spread to hide their own spectacular idiocy?

Anyway this was the plan of some Chileans not Evo.
Anti-Western?  The Germans aren't the ones who allied with the Russians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Hilariously nutty. They should pack in the island idea though and just launch submarines straight from Bolivia through the tunnel. Ala Stingray.
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2009, 09:00:44 AM
Hilariously nutty. They should pack in the island idea though and just launch submarines straight from Bolivia through the tunnel. Ala Stingray.

They do have the largest nazy of any landlocked country in the world.   :menace:

The Brain

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 17, 2009, 10:03:43 AM

They do have the largest nazy of any landlocked country in the world.   :menace:

:bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2009, 10:05:42 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 17, 2009, 10:03:43 AM

:bleeding:
Yes, landlocked countries are quite frightening.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

I'm pretty sure San Marino's nazy is just as big as Bolivia's

Edit: you  might think I'm making some obscure reference to and mis-spelling Italy's marine commando's, no, it's an obscure reference to the original mis-spelling of navy as nazy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████