News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Grand Election Thread

Started by Tamas, November 06, 2012, 08:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Speaking of entitlements, did Yi ever pay Dguller and Ide?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 02:42:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 15, 2012, 02:41:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2012, 10:24:57 AM
Guys, it's during a telephone call to donors.  The sole point of which is to try and make sure they give even more money in the next election.

I'm well-aware of where he was. Doesn't change the content of the words, nor does it show him to be anything less than a sore loser. I doubt he'd be calling himself a loser, but really? Buying brown pipple? Surely he could have come up with something better than that.

If it is what your audience wants to hear, seems like you'd be remiss in telling them something else.

Well I'm not quite THAT cynical.  There's quite a bit of leadership shown when a leader tells an audience something they don't want to hear.  Romney never showed that kind of leadership.

So pandering to donors might be disappointing, but it's sadly entirely routine for both parties.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2012, 01:10:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 12:59:40 PM
I don't see why a has-been politician would care about that.

Then why did you direct us to BB post?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Why would a has-been politician (Romney), care about fund raising for the future?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Guys, it's during a telephone call to donors.  The sole point of which is to try and make sure they give even more money in the next election.

Yeah, he couldnt exacty say "Obama won because I screwed by making comments I should never have made which alienated those three groups and flip flopping on important issue.  Also it didnt help much that I had to make a bunch of idiotic statements to appeal to you teabaggers out there.  On top of all that someone should have muzzled all the idiots on the abortion issue - that stuff really didnt help me with the woman vote.   In short if I wanted become President I should have waited for the Democratic spot to open up if four years because frankly you guys are a bunch of morons."

He has to make up stuff to explain why he lost since he cant say why he really lost.  I suppose this fiction is as good as any.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2012, 03:17:59 PM
Speaking of entitlements, did Yi ever pay Dguller and Ide?
:hmm: That's a good question.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2012, 03:40:36 PM

Yeah, he couldnt exacty say "Obama won because I screwed by making comments I should never have made which alienated those three groups and flip flopping on important issue.  Also it didnt help much that I had to make a bunch of idiotic statements to appeal to you teabaggers out there.  On top of all that someone should have muzzled all the idiots on the abortion issue - that stuff really didnt help me with the woman vote.   In short if I wanted become President I should have waited for the Democratic spot to open up if four years because frankly you guys are a bunch of morons."

He has to make up stuff to explain why he lost since he cant say why he really lost.  I suppose this fiction is as good as any.

I've been reading - in almost all states Romney got more votes than other Republicans who were running for senator or governor.  Romney's defeat appears to have ahd little to do with Romney himself.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2012, 03:56:25 PM
I've been reading - in almost all states Romney got more votes than other Republicans who were running for senator or governor.  Romney's defeat appears to have ahd little to do with Romney himself.

Not here. We still have "none of the above" as a voting option. Obama won the state but our GOP Senator was re-elected. The Dem challenger was a very poor candidate with lots of issues, so it means lots of Obama voters were also voting none of the above in that race.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

You are not considering that those other candidates may have been even worse than Romney.

Further, the Presidential election is very much a comparison between the two candidates and in recent election cycles has become very personal.  I am not sure how one could ever make the argument that the Presidential race had "little to do" with one of the candidates.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2012, 04:21:17 PM

You are not considering that those other candidates may have been even worse than Romney.

Further, the Presidential election is very much a comparison between the two candidates and in recent election cycles has become very personal.  I am not sure how one could ever make the argument that the Presidential race had "little to do" with one of the candidates.

It wasn't just the Akin's of the world who he polled better than.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/11/08/the-republican-partys-candidate-problem-in-two-charts/

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2012, 03:29:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2012, 01:10:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 12:59:40 PM
I don't see why a has-been politician would care about that.

Then why did you direct us to BB post?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Why would a has-been politician (Romney), care about fund raising for the future?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-romney-donors-20121115,0,1719033.story

QuoteRomney said he and his team were discussing how to keep the campaign's donor group connected — perhaps with annual meetings or a monthly newsletter — "so we can stay informed and have influence on the direction of the party, and perhaps the selection of a future nominee."

"Which, by the way," he added with a chuckle, "will not be me."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Well, you were the one who didn't see why a has been politician would care about that. 

garbon

Joan said such behavior from a politician wasn't edifying. I said that I didn't think a has-been politician would care about edification.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

garbon

Yeah, I think that's the second time today, after commenting to Joan that I had to beat you back.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2012, 04:35:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2012, 04:21:17 PM

It wasn't just the Akin's of the world who he polled better than.

What does that have to do with his one on one competition with Obama?  This isnt like Canadian politics.  They get to vote for both the President and their local house representative and their Senator.

So tell me again how Romney's loss had little to do with him?