News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History in Germany (and Italy)

Started by Sheilbh, November 02, 2012, 09:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on November 02, 2012, 10:51:08 AM
I had to look up Whiggish history as I didn't know the term.
I think that's mayybe too British and constitutional definition.  The other one quoted by Wiki is more what I meant:
QuoteBy the mid-1970s, it had become commonplace among historians of science to employ the terms 'Whig' and 'Whiggish', often accompanied by one or more of 'hagiographic', 'internalist', 'triumphalist', even 'positivist', to denigrate grand narratives of scientific progress. At one level there is, indeed, an obvious parallel with the attacks on Whig constitutional history in the opening decades of the century. For, as P. B. M. Blaas has shown, those earlier attacks were part and parcel of a more general onslaught in the name of an autonomous, professional and scientific history, on popular, partisan and moralising historiography. Similarly,... For post-WWII champions of the newly professionalized history of science the targets were quite different. Above all, they were out to establish a critical distance between the history of science and the teaching and promotion of the sciences. In particular, they were suspicious of the grand celebratory and didactic narratives of scientific discovery and progress that had proliferated in the inter-war years.
Maybe Whig history is the wrong phrase but I basically meant a sort of historical narrative that celebrates the past as to some extent a story of progress. 

I can see how arguably the natural story of Germany in a positive light is of natural progress towards unification and eventual reunification in which case the Prussians play a large, arguably positive role.  But that what you say about them means that story isn't necessarily accurate and can't really be told that way because of their influence on the Nazis and certain 'Prussian values'.

So it just interested me how Germany deals with that history and with the fact that there are a myriad of local histories that can be quite divergent before you reach 'Germany'.  Similarly in Italy there's no Italian narrative and I can't see one of progress towards unification that isn't effectively triumphalist about the North.

Do you know if there's any local element in areas like Saxony or Bavaria?

Yeah it's the book you and Valmy mentioned that I'm reading.  So far I think it's very interesting about a state I know very little about.  I also don't really know much about the 17th and 18th century in Europe beyond the Thirty Years War and the Revolutionary period so the early section's been fascinating.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on November 02, 2012, 04:04:18 PM
Sweden taught Prussia that they needed a military. :)

Eh, no, that would be Lithuania and Poland and all their easily conquerable land. Sweden probably taught Brandenburg and Saxony that they needed militaries. Brandenburg learned, Saxony didn't.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on November 04, 2012, 12:38:33 PM

Eh, no, that would be Lithuania and Poland and all their easily conquerable land. Sweden probably taught Brandenburg and Saxony that they needed militaries. Brandenburg learned, Saxony didn't.

I knew a messerschmitt would play the Brandenburg/Prussia card.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

How can anyone deny the enormous positive influence of Prussia on Germany?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Camerus

I found the Christopher Clarke book unreadable, in spite of several attempts.

Far more focused and well-written (though less focused on Prussia and covering a shorter time period) is Martin Kitchen's "A History of Modern Germany:  1800 - 2000."

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2012, 10:07:19 AM
My middle school curriculum:

Egypt
Greece
Rome
Charlemagne
Holy Roman Empire (Otto the Great, Barbarossa etc.)
Crusades
Hansa
Reformation
Age of Discoveries
Thirty Years War
Founding of Prussia
French Revolution/Napoleon
Prussian Reforms (Hardenberg/Stein)
Industrial Revolution
Founding of Germany
Bismarck's politics and reforms
Colonies/Imperialism

Lol oops ran out of time kids!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2012, 04:30:33 AM
It's cute when Germans think they're northern or non-decadent.

Or when they consider their neighbours to be inferior and uncivilized.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2012, 12:54:13 PM

Ideas (including national ideas) have best before date. They usually are a good influence at the time, but then they get rotten and all kinds of slime, mold and bacteria corrupt them. Same could be said about the Catholic Church - for a while it has an enormous positive influence on Europe.

syk

Quote from: Martinus on November 05, 2012, 02:03:32 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2012, 04:30:33 AM
It's cute when Germans think they're northern or non-decadent.

Or when they consider their neighbours to be inferior and uncivilized.
We consider our countrymen inferior and uncivilized. Asia begins at the Elbe. 

Valmy

West Germany is better.  I suspect due to French influences :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2012, 11:02:56 AM

east Germany was Russian administered for a bit. That may,perhaps, have something to do with it :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2012, 12:47:54 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 04, 2012, 12:38:33 PM

I knew a messerschmitt would play the Brandenburg/Prussia card.

Do not call me a cutler. ffs a swede is calling me a fucking knife maker

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 05, 2012, 11:34:11 AM
east Germany was Russian administered for a bit. That may,perhaps, have something to do with it :P

I mean historically not just recently :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2012, 11:02:56 AM
Not at all.  Besides, the French influenced all of Germany pretty thoroughly.  It's hard to remember when you look at the French today, but once upon a time they were a cultural colossus, influencing all the civilized peoples of the world.  Unfortunately, they twisted themselves up when their civilization finally collapsed in 1870, and have become less and less as the years drag on.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 04, 2012, 09:10:48 PM
I found the Christopher Clarke book unreadable, in spite of several attempts.

I have to admit that I wasn't really a fan either and am not sure if I finished it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.