News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History in Germany (and Italy)

Started by Sheilbh, November 02, 2012, 09:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Well, italian Unity is seen as the culmination of a 400-year long process. Everything beyond that point is a long, precipitous fall towards chaos.

History of the italian peninsula up to 1861 is in fact the history of how France, or Spain, or whichever empire tried to annex the region, hereby including the Papal States.

Speaking of the area I live, I don't remember a specific focus on the Serenissima during school years; Venice is simply considered one of the many different powers interested in exerting domination over part of the Po plain and the Adriatic coast. I had to study the history of Venice by myself.
The Gentile reform of school and university, dated 1922-23, until some years ago was still the basis of a great part of the school programs: consider I was in primary and middle school between 1977 and 1985, I studied a very centralized, Roma-centric history.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2012, 10:07:19 AM
My middle school curriculum:

Egypt
Greece
Rome
Charlemagne
Holy Roman Empire (Otto the Great, Barbarossa etc.)
Crusades
Hansa
Reformation
Age of Discoveries
Thirty Years War
Founding of Prussia
French Revolution/Napoleon
Prussian Reforms (Hardenberg/Stein)
Industrial Revolution
Founding of Germany
Bismarck's politics and reforms
Colonies/Imperialism
WW1
Weimar
Third Reich
Cold War (division of Germany, Ostpolitik etc.)

Yep, pretty much the same here. We pretty much skipped WW1 though. Third Reich was expanded on at the cost of all history of the Cold War era.

I took history as one of my main courses (LK2) for the Abitur, 12th and 13th grade. Those two years were pretty much a more in depth revisiting of the late 18th century up to the fall of the Third Reich. More modern history was skipped once again to expand on 1933-1945.  :mad:

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2012, 10:54:01 AM
Why is it, btw, that the two active Germans on Languish are both from Holstein (and no longer live there)? :P

And even if we include Syko, he's from Lower Saxony (and the weird guy Isebrand was obviously a big Dithmarschen fan :P ).

And here's another one from Lower Saxony. Everything south of Hannover is pretty much Bavaria, anyway.  :P I have mostly limited myself to lurking in the last few years though.

Neil

Quote from: Zanza on November 02, 2012, 04:15:18 PM
The area of Germany that was ruled by Sweden is still the poorest and most backward area of the country. :hmm:
Inferior cultures produce inferior colonies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2012, 10:54:01 AM
Why is it, btw, that the two active Germans on Languish are both from Holstein (and no longer live there)? :P

And even if we include Syko, he's from Lower Saxony (and the weird guy Isebrand was obviously a big Dithmarschen fan :P ).
We're a forum that grew out of interst in a scandinavian game and was thus full of scandinavians.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2012, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 02, 2012, 03:28:56 PM
it's oddly disconcerting how germans/germanics go to shit once roman blood enters their cultures. Spain, Portugal, France, Italy...
:p

If by going to shit you mean become the greatest civilization evah on Continental Europe then it is a little strange. -_-

I'm glad you recognize the continental qualified is necessary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Malicious Intent on November 02, 2012, 07:24:49 PM
Yep, pretty much the same here. We pretty much skipped WW1 though. Third Reich was expanded on at the cost of all history of the Cold War era.

Oh, we covered the Cold War alright. I finished middle school in 1992 and we covered the reunification in history class. :hmm: :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Malicious Intent on November 02, 2012, 07:28:15 PMAnd here's another one from Lower Saxony. Everything south of Hannover is pretty much Bavaria, anyway.  :P I have mostly limited myself to lurking in the last few years though.

Our saying at home was: "South of the Elbe is Northern Italy, and East of Lübeck is Asia." :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

syk

Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2012, 12:56:19 AM
Quote from: Malicious Intent on November 02, 2012, 07:28:15 PMAnd here's another one from Lower Saxony. Everything south of Hannover is pretty much Bavaria, anyway.  :P I have mostly limited myself to lurking in the last few years though.

Our saying at home was: "South of the Elbe is Northern Italy, and East of Lübeck is Asia." :P
Pretty much the same here, "Bavaria starts south of Göttingen, East of the Elbe is Asia".

As for the curriculum, it was mostly the same for me, except it feels like we were taught about the 3rd Reich every 2nd year. And we never made past 1945 in the regular lessons. History LK had the Russian Revolution.

The Brain

It's cute when Germans think they're northern or non-decadent.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2012, 04:30:33 AM
Comes with being the north-most part of civilization. Not that you would understand that.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2012, 04:30:33 AM

Not as bad as domesticated city-dwelling Swedes who think they've still got Vikingishness in them. It's like modern Greeks claiming they're direct descendants of ancient Greece.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

I got one word for you: Auschwitz. Crawl back and hide in your holes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2012, 04:41:55 AM
I got one word for you: Auschwitz. Crawl back and hide in your holes.

I have another word for you: ball bearings.

Also, how could you bring this up, it's a touchy subject. My grandfather died there!  :mad:

He fell off a guard tower while drunk.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2012, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 02, 2012, 03:28:56 PM
it's oddly disconcerting how germans/germanics go to shit once roman blood enters their cultures. Spain, Portugal, France, Italy...
:p

If by going to shit you mean become the greatest civilization evah on Continental Europe then it is a little strange. -_-

france is not a civilization, it's an army.
and Italy.... oh italy.