News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voting for President, for the wrong reasons?

Started by Berkut, November 01, 2012, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2012, 06:06:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2012, 05:27:17 PM

Why?  If Republicans control Congress and the White House they're now pretty much obliged to go work together.  And as Frum points out, it's almost inevitable that the party not holding the White House picks up seats in off-year elections.

You can play the Raz blame game and say "I don't want to reward House Republicans", but you have to vote based on the facts as they are, not on the facts as you wish they'd be.

So if the Democrats emulate the Republicans in a successful strategy of obstruction, would it then be right to vote for the Democrats?

This is one of those situations where hypotheticals aren't real useful.

The question is - who should you vote for in 2012.

Who would you vote for if the Bull Moose Party was running really doesn't add much to the discussion.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Okay, I'll ask you the same question next week, maybe it'll be less hypothetical if Romney wins.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on November 01, 2012, 06:00:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 05:41:02 PM
All he wants is the Presidency, because it's the Presidency.  He believes in nothing, except saying, doing and promising anything to anybody to get there. 
So he's Obama?

No, he's not.
You may not like what he delivered, whether it was healthcare reform or the way he recapitalized the banks or the mini-stim of 2010, but he's delivered on what he's said to deliver, as much as he's been able to, considering today's Congress.

What Mittens' problem is, is that Mittens has promised multiple deliveries on any given topic, from Severe Conservative to Moderate Mittens. It's all just a dartboard trying to figure out this guy.  Obama's a lefty, has delivered as a lefty, and can be reasonably believed that he will continue to be a lefty in a 2nd term.  Whether or not you're comfortable with that, hey, that's your political philosophy.  But at least you have a reliable barometer on where he is on the map.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'd actually prefer Dubya over this guy--I disagreed with a lot of his Administration's moves, but at least he laid out in front of you what he believed, what he was going to do, and then he went out and fucking did it.  For all his faults, at least he had his convictions and stuck with them, come hell or high water.

But this guy?  He's just bad news.

jimmy olsen

I agree with what you said 100% Berkut, and it's why I voted Democrat for the first time this election.

The Republicans in congress simply cannot be rewarded for their atrocious behavior, made worse by the fact that Obama's mostly governed as what would have been considered a moderate Republican just 10 years ago.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 06:17:31 PM
All he wants is the Presidency, because it's the Presidency.  He believes in nothing, except saying, doing and promising anything to anybody to get there. 
So he's Obama?

No, he's not.
You may not like what he delivered, whether it was healthcare reform or the way he recapitalized the banks or the mini-stim of 2010, but he's delivered on what he's said to deliver, as much as he's been able to, considering today's Congress.

What Mittens' problem is, is that Mittens has promised multiple deliveries on any given topic, from Severe Conservative to Moderate Mittens. It's all just a dartboard trying to figure out this guy.  Obama's a lefty, has delivered as a lefty, and can be reasonably believed that he will continue to be a lefty in a 2nd term.  Whether or not you're comfortable with that, hey, that's your political philosophy.  But at least you have a reliable barometer on where he is on the map.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'd actually prefer Dubya over this guy--I disagreed with a lot of his Administration's moves, but at least he laid out in front of you what he believed, what he was going to do, and then he went out and fucking did it.  For all his faults, at least he had his convictions and stuck with them, come hell or high water.

Hell no. Bush and his "convictions" were a disaster.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 06:17:31 PM
So he's Obama?

No, he's not.

In what world is Obama a lefty? He's center of the spectrum by any unbiased measure. On some issues he's further right than GWB was.

OttoVonBismarck

That's mostly why I don't "fear" another Obama term. He proved with his first term he's not an ideological lefty. He always "spoke like one" on the campaign trail in 2008, but that was just in his rhetoric. If you look at his campaign positions they were mostly middle of the road Clinton-type moderate Democratic positions.

He came out for gay marriage when polling showed him it wouldn't hurt him in any States that mattered and might help him in States where it would. Romney is a cat of many colors but Obama has picked electability over all things in the entirety of his first term in office.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2012, 05:52:50 PM
You know why I'm voting Romney? I'm sick of Michelle Obama. Brak is ok, she is a bitch.

WATCH IT SUCKA
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 06:31:52 PM
You know why I'm voting Romney? I'm sick of Michelle Obama. Brak is ok, she is a bitch.

WATCH IT SUCKA

Brak could have done soooooo much better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2012, 06:36:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 06:31:52 PM

WATCH IT SUCKA

Brak could have done soooooo much better.
He had several white girlfriends. Was Michelle is first and only black woman?

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2012, 06:20:16 PM
I agree with what you said 100% Berkut, and it's why I voted Democrat for the first time this election.

The Republicans in congress simply cannot be rewarded for their atrocious behavior, made worse by the fact that Obama's mostly governed as what would have been considered a moderate Republican just 10 years ago.

:nelson:  @Languish Obama supporters.  Consider yourselves tainted.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 01, 2012, 06:28:41 PM
In what world is Obama a lefty? He's center of the spectrum by any unbiased measure. On some issues he's further right than GWB was.

You just said it: he's proved he's not an "ideological" lefty. 

Now, he's certainly not left enough for the Bill Mahers of the world or the MoveOn.orgs, but he's just enough left for me, with a splash of rightie in decent doses. 

Comfortable. Deliberate. Not Severely Liberal. "Clinton-type moderate Democratic positions", as you say.  Which is fine by me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 06:40:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2012, 06:20:16 PM

:nelson:  @Languish Obama supporters.  Consider yourselves tainted.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on November 01, 2012, 06:40:11 PM
He had several white girlfriends. Was Michelle is first and only black woman?

Some of the white gfs were made-up, or "composites" but yeah, AFAIK Michelle was his first. 

Hmm, maybe you really never do go back :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Maybe you people need to fucking crop your posts.  It's a fucking Michelle Obama 10th grade film strip in here.