Free Silver vs. Gold Standard in the late 19th Century

Started by jimmy olsen, October 29, 2012, 11:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

Gold Standard - Sound money
7 (50%)
Free Silver - You shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of gold!
7 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 14

jimmy olsen

The defining economic issue for a good three decades in the U.S., from the 1870s-1900s. What's your stand?

No crazy talk like chartering a Third Bank of the United States  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Sound money.  Just because farmers want to fuck everyone else over so they can get out of their loan agreements doesn't mean the rest of the country has to go along with it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

That German feller Marx has some interesting ideas.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Could somebody please explain to me why Gold is sound but Silver is not?  They both seem equally sound as a basis of currency.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2012, 01:34:59 AM
Could somebody please explain to me why Gold is sound but Silver is not?  They both seem equally sound as a basis of currency.

Disclaimer - from wikipedia.

QuoteTo understand exactly what is meant by "free coinage of silver", it is necessary to understand the way mints operated in the days of the gold standard. Essentially, anyone who possessed uncoined gold, such as successful prospectors, or those to whom they might have sold it, could bring it to one of the United States mints and trade it for its equivalent in gold coins, less a small deduction for seignorage. Free-silver advocates wanted the mints to accept silver on the same principle, so that anyone would be able to deposit silver bullion at a mint and in return receive nearly its weight in silver dollars and other currency.[3]

Through most of the years when silver dollars and smaller denominations were minted in actual silver, the melt value of the silver was substantially less than their face value. As a result, their monetary value was based on government fiat rather than on the commodity value of their contents, and this became especially true following the huge silver strikes in the West, which further depressed the silver price. From that time until the early 1960s the silver in United States dimes, quarters, halves, and silver dollars was worth only a fraction of their face values.[4]

Since I support a fiat money system, sounds good to me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Silver sounds like a thoroughly bad idea then.
Gold or silver, not both.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2012, 01:34:59 AM

The way I understand it, including silver would have increased the money supply, which would have had the effect of lowering interest rates.  As Habbaku mentioned, the whole point of the debate was the farmers who were overextended on credit.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Who is this Silver we are talking about? Why is he locked up? And why should we want to free him?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?