News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Questions about jogging/running

Started by Martinus, October 28, 2012, 03:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I am thinking of picking up jogging/running in the mornings before work. Since I have never done it before, and several of you guys and girls do it, I thought I'd ask here:

- what frequency/duration should I start with?
- there are various running shoes at a sports store, which ones should I get?
- winter is coming and the weather is getting colder/more rainy. Is it possible to run during winter season or should I limit myself to indoor running for now?
- what kind of clothes should I get, especially, winter-wise?
- are there any other things I should think about?

I know the fitness thread is there already but just wanted to get some very specific advice and for the experienced people to see it. :)

Liep

It's easy to get good winter cloth for running, just somewhat expensive. I'm sure there most be running shops in Poland, try to google for some that does treadmill testing so you can find the right shoes.

Most important though, do not over do it. Start easy. 3km maybe, and twice a week.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

I used to run a lot.  Now, sadly, I don't.  :(

Brazen will come along and give you better advice, but here's what I've got:

1. Frequency - depends on what you're running or training for.  If you're training for a particular race/distance then you should find a workout routine to follow.  If you're running simply for some cardio exercise, then as much or as little as you want to do.  Could be just 3x per week, up to every day.

2. Go to a good sports store, ask them.  They should be able to look at your feet and running style to recommend a good shoe.

3. Depends what you like.  Some people hate running indoors, because the scenery never changes.  Some people hate running outdoors in winter, because it's cold.  Do whatever you like as long as you keep running.

4. You want a synthetic inner layer which will draw moisture away from the body.  Beyond that you want thin multiple layers.  You can always take a thin layer off if you're warm.

5. Hinted at in 1 - try and pick a goal.  A particular race you'd like to run might be a good goal.  Then work towards getting ready for that goal.  Maybe it's a 10k race, or get ambitious and start training for a marathon.  Some ultimate goal to work for will help focus your running.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on October 28, 2012, 03:21:26 PM
It's easy to get good winter cloth for running, just somewhat expensive. I'm sure there most be running shops in Poland, try to google for some that does treadmill testing so you can find the right shoes.

Most important though, do not over do it. Start easy. 3km maybe, and twice a week.

Even if a total newbie, you want to run more than twice per week.

But try ten and ones - run ten minutes, walk a minute, and repeat, if you're just starting out.  Still great exercise.  I did a 10k that I hadn't trained for doing ten and 1 and did respectably.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2012, 03:25:10 PM

Why?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Also, if it rains just skip that day's training and do it when it's dry. Trying to be too disciplined might just ruin your motivation and fun.

And with respect to the frequency. Try running and see how your legs feel the next couple of days, if fine run again.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2012, 03:26:12 PM

Why?

Outrun the guy you're hunting with when you see a bear.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2012, 03:23:29 PM

1. Frequency - depends on what you're running or training for.  If you're training for a particular race/distance then you should find a workout routine to follow.  If you're running simply for some cardio exercise, then as much or as little as you want to do.  Could be just 3x per week, up to every day.

Well, mostly for exercise / keeping fit / maintaining/losing weight. I tried exercising at the gym (weightlifting etc. with a personal trainer), giving it a fair try (give or take, more than half a year) but I ended up realizing that I just hate it - it's a chore for me, and I simply do not derive enjoyment from it - whereas for example outdoor cycling is fun and I like doing it just for the sake of it (but obviously in winter this is less sensible). So I thought that outdoor running may be something I may end up actually liking.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2012, 03:26:12 PM

Why?

seriously
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Legbiter

You won't get much out of jogging, fitness-wise compared to literally anything else. Jogging is just worthless as well as boring and you'll burn out quickly with hardly anything to show for it. Since you're looking to get in a brief workout before work you could do a lot worse than sprinting. It's brief, intense and efficient. So, 8 to 10 rounds of 30 second sprints (or roughly 100 meters) with 2-3 minutes of downtime inbetween. If you can't do 8, do as many as you can.

Before you sprint do some light stretching, some high knee jumping, walking knee rasies, leg swings, that sort of thing.

Running outside in winter is doable but requires a little bit of planning. One or 2 joggers get removed from the gene pool here each year via jogging in darkness and getting hit by cars. More slip on ice and break/tear things as a result but like I said, it's quite doable with a bit of forethought.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

merithyn

Download this app: Cool Running Couch to 5k

Follow it. If one week is too hard, repeat it. If you can slow down, you're going too fast.

If you want to know how far/fast you're going, download this app: http://www.mapmyrun.com/. You can run both apps concurrently while you're playing your music if you have a smart phone.

The best way to stick with it is to sign up for a race. Find out if there's a 5k race in about three months. Sign up for it now, and plan some sort of prize for yourself once you finish it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Oh. The answers to your questions:

- what frequency/duration should I start with? Follow the C25k app.
- there are various running shoes at a sports store, which ones should I get? Ask to speak to someone who is a runner. Ask them what the best kind of shoe is for the way that you run (on toes, flat-footed, or heel-to-toe).
- winter is coming and the weather is getting colder/more rainy. Is it possible to run during winter season or should I limit myself to indoor running for now? I love running outside in the cold, but it can affect my asthma a bit. On this one, you've got to go with what you're most comfortable with. If you hate what you're doing because of the weather, you won't keep up with it.
- what kind of clothes should I get, especially, winter-wise? Under-armor is great for winter. Do you have something like that in Poland? If not, you can get it online, I think. I tend to overheat, so I stick to a long-sleeved under-armor shirt, a t-shirt, and shorts with leggings. If it's really cold, I'll throw on a hoodie, hat, and gloves.
- are there any other things I should think about? I find that I drink a lot of water while I run. (I hate a dry throat.) There are waist-packs that have several small water containers. It's nice because it's not heavy, carries just enough water to get me through a three-mile run, and it has a small pocket that I can keep an ID, a credit card, and some cash in case I might need them. (I haven't yet, but I'm a firm believer in being prepared. ;) )

This shouldn't be hard if you stick to the C25k program. If it is, slow down and/or repeat weeks. Good luck. :)

merithyn

Quote from: Legbiter on October 28, 2012, 06:30:35 PM
You won't get much out of jogging, fitness-wise compared to literally anything else. Jogging is just worthless as well as boring and you'll burn out quickly with hardly anything to show for it. Since you're looking to get in a brief workout before work you could do a lot worse than sprinting. It's brief, intense and efficient. So, 8 to 10 rounds of 30 second sprints (or roughly 100 meters) with 2-3 minutes of downtime inbetween. If you can't do 8, do as many as you can.

Before you sprint do some light stretching, some high knee jumping, walking knee rasies, leg swings, that sort of thing.

Running outside in winter is doable but requires a little bit of planning. One or 2 joggers get removed from the gene pool here each year via jogging in darkness and getting hit by cars. More slip on ice and break/tear things as a result but like I said, it's quite doable with a bit of forethought.

<_<

What a killjoy. If you don't like to run, that's fine, but how about you not act as though your opinion is the absolute answer, eh?

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on October 28, 2012, 11:02:03 PM... how about you not act as though your opinion is the absolute answer, eh?

Come on, he can't break character like that.