Question to big firm lawyers (CC, Joan, Malthus)

Started by Martinus, October 26, 2012, 07:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Learn how to say no and learn when you need to say no.

Maintaining your own mental health and sanity is part of your job. You have working hours insist that your boss and client respect that, do not allow the exceptions to get out of hand. Turn your work cell phone off when you are not required to be available.

Learn these phrases

"Email me with the details of the situation and I will deal with it first thing in the morning."

and

"I am not in a position to help you right now I can refer you to a colleague who can."

Remember that there is almost nothing urgent that you get called up about that will not require at some point waiting til the morning. Then again, this might just be the oilpatch respect for HSE and OSHA that doesn't exist in other industries. In my industry arguing that one cannot perform a task due to not having slept 8 hrs in the last 24 hrs is sufficient for anything short of escaping a sinking ship or burning platform.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2012, 09:25:58 AM
I dealt with big law firm stress by no longer working for a big law firm. :)

It's not 100%, but most days I'm out the door by 4:30.   :cool:

Ugh. Not a morning person myself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

dps

Quote from: Malthus on October 26, 2012, 08:36:19 AM
I simply refuse to use cellphones and blackberries.

Even with a cell, there's always the option of saying, "Oops, I must have been in a place where I couldn't get signal".  Not saying that I've ever done that, I'm just saying that someone might do that.

Heck, occasionally, it might be true.

Back when I lived with my mom from 2002-2006 and didn't have a cell, I just let her answer the phone.  If she didn't think it was really important, she'd just tell them, "Eh, it's his day off, I'm not bothering him.  It can wait till he comes in tomorrow".  She used to do the same thing when my stepfather was alive and would get business calls at home.

stjaba

Although I've only been working for a few weeks, I've noticed a difference in workload between litigators and corporate attorneys. It seems that litigation is much more stable, unless there's some big event going on like a trial. So far, I haven't really needed to put in crazy hours, and I only go in on the weekend to get face time with my boss.

ulmont

Quote from: stjaba on October 26, 2012, 08:45:37 PM
Although I've only been working for a few weeks, I've noticed a difference in workload between litigators and corporate attorneys. It seems that litigation is much more stable, unless there's some big event going on like a trial. So far, I haven't really needed to put in crazy hours, and I only go in on the weekend to get face time with my boss.

Pretty much.  I do both, whee, and the litigation is a bit more manageable.  On the corporate side, well, I have a 3:30 conference call tomorrow.

The Minsky Moment

Hmm looks like tomorrow will be a short day at the office at least.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson