Question to big firm lawyers (CC, Joan, Malthus)

Started by Martinus, October 26, 2012, 07:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Anyone else who works for a corporation, feel free to chip in: how do you deal with work stress and the pressure (from clients/partners/bosses etc.) to essentially be contactable/available 24/7?

Do you adopt weird working hours? Take frequent vacation? Be assertive when it comes to clients not interferring with your personal time/space?

This is related to my therapist thread - I am trying to figure out if I have to change job or is there a way to fix things while staying in the firm.

Gups

I make time for life by not posting on Languish 13,336 times

Duque de Bragança

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on October 26, 2012, 07:58:10 AM
I make time for life by not posting on Languish 13,336 times

Ok, are you snarky because I did not include you?

I was asking how do you deal with the fluid nature of our work (it is not always possible to do something now so you are free later on) and odd working hours. Do you just refuse to play the game and set your own rules or what?

Faeelin

Malthus

Believe it or not, I simply refuse to be contactable except by prior arrangement.

If I'm in the office, you can reach me. If I'm not, you can't. Unless I know something big is going down.

I simply refuse to use cellphones and blackberries.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2012, 08:01:31 AM
Ok, are you snarky because I did not include you?

Nope.

QuoteI was asking how do you deal with the fluid nature of our work (it is not always possible to do something now so you are free later on) and odd working hours. Do you just refuse to play the game and set your own rules or what?

My clients aren't like that and my work isn't that fluid - it's mainly litigation, with set deadlines for pleadings, expert reports etc.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2012, 07:54:37 AM
Do you adopt weird working hours? Take frequent vacation? Be assertive when it comes to clients not interferring with your personal time/space?

In order:
1) Yes
2) Sort of.  More frequent but less time off at a time.
3) No - this is a client service business.  If that is a big issue you may be in the wrong business.  Colleagues can help carry the load here.

Marti - I assume you are often dealing with time zone differences which may make Gups/Malthus' experience not totally applicable.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Great, everyone gave me a different answer. Or Malthus is in the wrong business. :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2012, 08:54:49 AM
Or Malthus is in the wrong business. :P

Canada /= NY
And every practice is different.  I have colleagues with very predictable, stable practices.  Mine doesn't work that way.  I work with clients and colleagues on the west coast so have to be available late; I also work for NYC finance-RE types that have certain expectations as to responsiveness.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2012, 08:54:49 AM
Great, everyone gave me a different answer. Or Malthus is in the wrong business. :P

Maybe.   :D

Problem is, it depends on the nature of the work. Which varies a lot.

I compromise by being willing to work odd hours, weekends, etc. when necessary. But my work is more "set" than most - I do mainly regulatory opinions. So I'm not "on call" as much, except of course when it comes to emergencies like product recalls.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

So how do you manage this without getting burned out, Minsky (since I assume you are older than me)? The best therapist partner money can buy?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2012, 09:03:23 AM
So how do you manage this without getting burned out, Minsky (since I assume you are older than me)? The best therapist partner money can buy?

Really like/be interested in the work you are doing.
Share the burden with colleagues.
Find some a few things outside work that are important to you and make sure you make the time to do them.
Natural insommnia.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

I dealt with big law firm stress by no longer working for a big law firm. :)

It's not 100%, but most days I'm out the door by 4:30.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.