And we're back!

Main Menu

A black 007?

Started by merithyn, October 26, 2012, 05:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I don't know how I feel about this.  :hmm:

Link

QuoteNaomie Harris, one of the two Bond girls vying for the superspy's affection in "Skyfall," set off a flurry of news stories earlier this week when a quote from her interview with the Huffington Post appeared online. The comment that grabbed headlines had to do with her "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" co-star and vocal 007 aspirant, Idris Elba.

This isn't the first time that we've heard talk of Bond being played by a black actor. In 2008, current Bond, Daniel Craig put the idea forward. "I think the role could easily be played by a black actor because the character created by Ian Fleming in the '50s has undergone a great deal of evolution and continues to be updated," he said.

Though Elba had previously spoken about wanting to be the first black Bond, we didn't know that the talk amounted to anything more than just that — until Harris revealed that he met with 007 producer Barbara Broccoli.

"I didn't realize that there was this talk and then I did a film with Idris and he said that he met Barbara Broccoli and that it does seem like there is a possibility in the future that there could very well be a black James Bond," Harris said. "And I would have to vote for Idris because I just finished working with him and he's a great guy."

Elba as Bond is certainly a popular idea among many fans on the Internet, but whether it's a realistic one is another story. With "Skyfall" now poised to take over the world in the next few weeks, Daniel Craig is sitting quite comfortable as the man with a license to kill. He has at least two more films in him, which would keep him in the role until 2016 at the earliest. That would make Elba 46 by the time his first Bond movie rolled around in 2018, in theory.

However, that didn't keep Harris from singing Elba's praises during our interview with her. She considers herself a big supporter of the idea, since Elba has all the quality he needs to step into the iconic tux.

"He would an amazing Bond. He'd be fantastic. I'd vote for him," Harris said. "Because he has an elegance about him, and there's a mysterious quality. And he's super, super hot as well."

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Surprisingly, I could totally see a black 007.  Just as long as he still has an english accent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2012, 05:03:43 PM
Surprisingly, I could totally see a black 007.  Just as long as he still has an english accent.

Then he wouldn't really be black then, now would he?

Valmy

Of course it would make sense.  Many millions of peoples of many races and ethnicities feel residual loyalty to the British Empire.  :bowler:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Stringer would be a good Bond.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Black Felix Leiter is cooler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2012, 05:08:27 PM
How so, M?

Well, I think Idris Elba could totally pull it off. He has that suave, sexy attitude that makes Bond Bond. But James has always been white. So, it would take a big leap for me to accept someone who is not white for the role. Doesn't mean that I can't/won't make it, but it will still be a bit of a jolt on some level.

The Brain

Idris Elba is dreamy.

I have let's see, oh zero problem with a black Bond. I mean who gives a fuck.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 26, 2012, 05:11:52 PM
How so, M?

Well, I think Idris Elba could totally pull it off. He has that suave, sexy attitude that makes Bond Bond. But James has always been white. So, it would take a big leap for me to accept someone who is not white for the role. Doesn't mean that I can't/won't make it, but it will still be a bit of a jolt on some level.

<_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2012, 05:15:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 26, 2012, 05:11:52 PM
How so, M?

<_<

:huh:

What? I'd have just as hard (if not harder) of a time if they made Bond a woman.

The Brain

Being black is as bad as being a woman now? Stop digging plz.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

How many black super-secret agents did MI6 have in the '60s?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

The problem with this is the 007 bit, the notion of a British super spy helping Britain punch way over it's weight is so last century.

I think it's time to but James Bond out to grass.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on October 26, 2012, 05:22:40 PM
The problem with this is the 007 bit, the notion of a British super spy helping Britain punch way over it's weight is so last century.

I think it's time to but James Bond out to grass.

Until the box office returns become last century amounts Mr. Bond is not going anywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."