NFL Week 8: NFL threads are my burden to bear, and to bear alone obviously

Started by CountDeMoney, October 25, 2012, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 09:48:04 AM
Based on that alone I'd call it inconclusive.

In what crazy universe?  The finger is clearly out of bounds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2012, 09:55:16 AM

Too blurry to say it's touching the line.  And the palm of his glove is so dark it's hard to say conclusively that part of it is not touching the ground.

But I'll admit I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the offense.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Strix

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 10:05:46 AM

Too blurry to say it's touching the line.  And the palm of his glove is so dark it's hard to say conclusively that part of it is not touching the ground.

But I'll admit I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the offense.

But you aren't considered down if your hand touches the ground. So, does it even matter or count when it comes to determining a catch? It does matter for being considered in or out of bounds though, which is why it appears to be the correct call. Where is Berkut when you need him to chime in?

Regardless, Bryant needed to man up, wrap both arms around the ball to make sure of the catch, and let his fat ass hit the ground first for the touchdown, end of story. Hines Ward wouldn't have tried to break his fall because he understood what it took to win and be a great receiver. Hell, Bryant almost got his team a penalty for too many men in the huddle which I believe would have caused a 10 second run off ending the game. He is all about himself all the time.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

derspiess

Quote from: Strix on October 29, 2012, 10:28:17 AM
Regardless, Bryant needed to man up, wrap both arms around the ball to make sure of the catch, and let his fat ass hit the ground first for the touchdown, end of story. Hines Ward wouldn't have tried to break his fall because he understood what it took to win and be a great receiver. Hell, Bryant almost got his team a penalty for too many men in the huddle which I believe would have caused a 10 second run off ending the game. He is all about himself all the time.

Easy for you to say.  That is a really tough instinct to fight against, especially if in that split second you misjudge your position and think your hand will be squarely in-bounds.  Criticizing a receiver for something like this is pretty ridiculous.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

I have a hard time criticizing the receiver for being 1-2 cm out of bounds with the tips of his fingers.  Mind you, it's weird how this stuff always happens to Bryant.  Between this and the two-point conversion vs Baltimore, maybe Romo should think about looking for Miles Austin when the game is on the line.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

It is nobody's fault, well ok alot in that game was people's fault but not on that play, it is just part of the eternal curse of the Romo-led Cowboys.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Not just Romo, but every Cowboys team since Aikman hung it up.  Quincy Carter and Drew Bledsoe weren't exactly setting the world on fire.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

In the same crazy universe that says Santonio Holmes put his 2nd foot down.

Just because the fingers appear to be over the line from that angle doesn't mean they're making contact with the ground.  In. Con. Clues. Sieve.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2012, 11:33:01 AM
In the same crazy universe that says Santonio Holmes put his 2nd foot down.

Just because the fingers appear to be over the line from that angle doesn't mean they're making contact with the ground.  In. Con. Clues. Sieve.

They clearly touched down first on the replay.  Not even the Cowboys fanatics are denying it.  But then they are terminally suicidal and depressed people these days.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2012, 11:31:49 AM
Not just Romo, but every Cowboys team since Aikman hung it up.  Quincy Carter and Drew Bledsoe weren't exactly setting the world on fire.

Yeah but Romo and this crew are different.  They are actually good and should win, they just find creative ways to not do so and torture their fans.

CountDeMoney

Neil

The official sure thought it was conclusive.  And it's not like we're talking about the Steelers or Patriots here, who get every possible call.

Syt

QuoteWith last night's win over the Washington Redskins, the Steelers are now 400-253-2 during the regular season since 1970. The Steelers are the first franchise to register 400 regular-season wins since the AFL-NFL merger. The next closest team to the 400-win milestone is the Miami Dolphins with 389 wins.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

And just think:  At least 200 of those wins were legitimately done without the refs.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2012, 05:02:10 PM
QuoteWith last night's win over the Washington Redskins, the Steelers are now 400-253-2 during the regular season since 1970. The Steelers are the first franchise to register 400 regular-season wins since the AFL-NFL merger. The next closest team to the 400-win milestone is the Miami Dolphins with 389 wins.

Meaning we would have had it without those couple shit seasons. :P