So anybody upgrading to Windows 8?

Started by Barrister, October 25, 2012, 04:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 30, 2012, 12:05:48 PM
One concern of mine is that it seems this release was really intended for mobile devices and PCs with touch screens. 

The new Start interface clearly is.  But you can easily jump back to a more classic Win7-type desktop with one click or keystroke.  So you don't really lose anything by upgrading-- just make sure you get your free Media Center add-on if that's something you use.

FWIW I think the Start interface works really well with an HTPC-type setup.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2012, 12:37:16 PM
Absolutely.

I thought about throwing Win 8 onto my Mac Pro,

Yeah, right :lol:

Quotebut the reviews have been so universally bad, and all I use my Windows partition for is to play Windows-only games, so I really can't see the use...

Only because you live in an Apple universe.

Anyway, the touchpad on your Macbook Pro should navigate the Start screen every bit as well as a touchscreen.  Same thing for most other modern laptops.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2012, 03:36:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2012, 12:37:16 PM
Absolutely.

I thought about throwing Win 8 onto my Mac Pro,

Yeah, right :lol:

Quotebut the reviews have been so universally bad, and all I use my Windows partition for is to play Windows-only games, so I really can't see the use...

Only because you live in an Apple universe.

Anyway, the touchpad on your Macbook Pro should navigate the Start screen every bit as well as a touchscreen.  Same thing for most other modern laptops.

:huh:

Uh, yeah.  Considering the fact I already have separate XP and Win 7 partitions, why wouldn't I throw on a copy of Win 8?  I like playing around with OSes. :)

I have a Mac Pro, not a MacBook Pro.  Well I guess I (or rather my wife) do have a MacBook Pro, but I'm not giong to put Windows on it's more limited HDD.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2012, 05:33:48 PM
:huh:

Uh, yeah.  Considering the fact I already have separate XP and Win 7 partitions, why wouldn't I throw on a copy of Win 8?  I like playing around with OSes. :)

For you there's probably little gained by installing Win8.  Win7 serves your needs for the time being.  I would suggest buying a license while it's cheap though.

QuoteI have a Mac Pro, not a MacBook Pro.  Well I guess I (or rather my wife) do have a MacBook Pro, but I'm not giong to put Windows on it's more limited HDD.

Ah. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2012, 07:49:26 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 30, 2012, 06:47:58 PM
I'm still using Vista.

:lmfao:

In many places, the USAF still uses Vista.  :(

We'll probably get stuck with Windows 8 too.

Monoriu

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on October 31, 2012, 10:55:37 PM
My work PC runs on Windows XP.

Not surprising, it's the easier OS to copy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Vricklund

Hmm, there's no uninstaller with the update assistant!? That bodes well for the future...  :rolleyes:

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2012, 09:08:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2012, 07:49:26 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 30, 2012, 06:47:58 PM
I'm still using Vista.

:lmfao:

Yeah, takes a certain amount of managerial talent to keep picking the alternate crap MS OS releases.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

It'll probably be mostly skipped here, at least for another 3 years. 
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2012, 09:08:59 PM

I doubt it will be that soon.

Watch here:  http://usgcb.nist.gov/

And here: http://nvd.nist.gov/fdcc/index.cfm

For practical purposes, they've just barely got the standards for Win7 in place.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Also, wifey has been "on-call" since release date. I think half the company is. She's logged some bugs already, but came home today excited that one of her bugs went straight to the top. It was one that prevented MSFT from collecting ad revenue. That shit is already fixed.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

Full screen Metro App on 24 inches aren't required. Also why isn't metro UI on both of my dual screens?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.