So anybody upgrading to Windows 8?

Started by Barrister, October 25, 2012, 04:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I played around with a Lenovo Yoga over the weekend.  I am tempted.

Conceptually, Windows 8 is a great idea: it eliminates the distinction between tablet OS and notebook OS at the precise moment those categories are breaking down.  I like the tablet form factor and have and use an iPad regularly.  But the unfortunate reality is that the iPad is limited for business/work purposes because you can't run the Office suite and because of its general lack of power and basic features like USB connectivity.  Windows 8 (not RT) solves those problems and you can run all legacy and future Windows software and apps on one device.  Don't think I will pull the trigger on the Yoga which is a little unwieldy in its present incarnation, but I do think my next purchase will be a Windows 8 ultrabook-tablet hybrid of some kind.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2012, 03:33:06 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 30, 2012, 12:05:48 PM
One concern of mine is that it seems this release was really intended for mobile devices and PCs with touch screens. 

The new Start interface clearly is.  But you can easily jump back to a more classic Win7-type desktop with one click or keystroke.  So you don't really lose anything by upgrading-- just make sure you get your free Media Center add-on if that's something you use.

FWIW I think the Start interface works really well with an HTPC-type setup.

I'm looking to buy a new computer soon and they mainly come with Win 8 now. Been looking at Dell as those have been my last few computers and I've had good luck with them. The Alienware computers till come with Win 7, though not sure I want/need one of those. Maybe, and considering it.

You said a Win 7 desktop is a click away. Does that come with Win 8 or is that an aftermarket addon like the ones that give the old style Start button? Does anyone have any experience as to how compatible Win 8 is with existing and slightly older games?

Grey Fox

Win 8 and Win 7 desktop are the same thing. Win 8 only lacks a start menu, instead it has a Metro UI.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Not totally related, but has anyone used Office 2013 yet?  I got a company email offering a copy for $10 under the MS Home Use Program.  I'll probably do it in any case, but I can't remember what was so great about 2013 that 2010 did not have.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: KRonn on January 23, 2013, 02:24:17 PM
Does anyone have any experience as to how compatible Win 8 is with existing and slightly older games?

I haven't come across any Win8 compatibility issues with games & applications that worked with Win7.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2013, 03:17:49 PM
Not totally related, but has anyone used Office 2013 yet?  I got a company email offering a copy for $10 under the MS Home Use Program.  I'll probably do it in any case, but I can't remember what was so great about 2013 that 2010 did not have.

Wiki seems to have a good summary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 05:21:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2013, 03:17:49 PM

Wiki seems to have a good summary.

As did PC Magazine.  But I was hoping to get an everyday user's perspective.

ulmont

I recommend Stardock's Start8 addon, to add the Windows 7 start menu back to the Windows 8 desktop.  Makes the whole thing much more useable, imo.

KRonn

mongers

I'll sit this one out, as I'm on the missing every alternate release of windows; so far I've avoided ME, Vista, is 8 the next in that 'series' ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

I'm thinking of going with Windows 7 too. Dell has multi-media and Alienware systems that still ship with Win 7. I'm even thinking of an Alienware machine. That may be more than I need, overclocked chips, etc. More chances for problems?

KRonn

So, I'm seriously thinking of going with Windows 7 on my new computer, figuring I want something closer to what I have as it's doubtful that I'll need Win 8 for Apps and such. Does anyone think I'm better off with Win 8? I was considering Alienware but I think that's probably more gaming computer than I need. So I'll probably go with a Dell multimedia desktop. How does that all sound?  I'm looking to buy soon while Win 7 is still available, as I assume after not too long it will be harder to get on a new computer.  Besides, my current computer is five years old, running on Vista which has been ok as an operating system.

Grey Fox

Get Win 7. You'll be amazed over Vista.

fhdz

I was using the public preview of Win8, so I went ahead and upgraded after the preview license expired. I spend all my time on the Win7-style desktop and ignore the tablet-esque new home screen stuff. *shrug*
and the horse you rode in on

Grey Fox

Start8 was recommended before in this thread but it's paid software. Classic Shell is awesome Open source alternative.