News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Presidential Election!

Started by Kleves, October 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who gets your vote for President of the United States of America?

I'm an American and I vote for Obama - just the man to turn American around after four miserable years
24 (29.6%)
I'm an American and I vote for Romney - his day one job: get ride of Obamacare and then strip America down and sell it for parts
14 (17.3%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Obama - a weak and apologetic America pleases me
30 (37%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Romney - a Mormon in the White House? That will be hilarious!
3 (3.7%)
I am American, and I waste my vote by voting for a third party
6 (7.4%)
I am not an American, but I would vote for Jaron
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Syt

Listening to yet another radio report about the election and some of the soundbits from voters, I noticed that a lot of the talk in the campaign seems to be very abstract. It's about diffuse "values", the "strength" of America and similar words. There's little concrete talk, at least as seen from over here.

Secondly, considering how polarized the country seems to be and how hard fought the campaign is - why  will the voter turnout yet again be very low compared to most other democratic countries (under 60% since 1972)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

For starters, there's gonna be over 100 million votes cast. There's very little chance your vote will actually matter. Also, many people will find themselves standing in lines for several hours to do so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 30, 2012, 01:24:18 AM
Secondly, considering how polarized the country seems to be and how hard fought the campaign is - why  will the voter turnout yet again be very low compared to most other democratic countries (under 60% since 1972)?

We have alot of unpolitical people in this country.  I think the polarization creates a certain fatigue with politics.  Another factor may be the problems of our educational system...but on the other hand we had 80% turnout back in the days when illiteracy was a big problem so maybe not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on October 30, 2012, 01:24:18 AM
Listening to yet another radio report about the election and some of the soundbits from voters, I noticed that a lot of the talk in the campaign seems to be very abstract. It's about diffuse "values", the "strength" of America and similar words. There's little concrete talk, at least as seen from over here.

61.7% in 2008

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

[Eurosmug]Well, if the American system disenfranchises so many people . . . [/Eurosmug] ;)

—Stephen Jay Gould

merithyn

So Romney opted out of doing any campaigning during the storm in the interest of national unity. Instead, he's doing a not-a-campaign-but-a-storm-relief party at the same venue with the same celebs and the same basic speeches.

And this man is going to be the one to "reach across the aisle" and be the "bi-partisan President"? He can't even drop this shit for 48 hours while people's lives are being pulled apart.  :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2012, 08:32:03 AM
And this man is going to be the one to "reach across the aisle" and be the "bi-partisan President"?

Romney is a dirty liar Meri.  But nobody cares he is a liar because, you know, he is a politician and they expect it from him.  Besides it is not like one could really be a bi-partisan President these days.  The other party is not going to work with you and help you look good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

And this man is going to be the one to "reach across the aisle" and be the "bi-partisan President"? He can't even drop this shit for 48 hours while people's lives are being pulled apart.  :rolleyes:
We must have Hope that Romney will bring about bipartisan Change We Can Believe In.

derspiess

So Romney opted out of doing any campaigning during the storm in the interest of national unity. Instead, he's doing a not-a-campaign-but-a-storm-relief party at the same venue with the same celebs and the same basic speeches.

It's politics, Meri.  Remember the Wellstone memorial?  Yeah, I figured you wouldn't.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2012, 01:45:21 AM
We have alot of unpolitical people in this country.  I think the polarization creates a certain fatigue with politics.  Another factor may be the problems of our educational system...but on the other hand we had 80% turnout back in the days when illiteracy was a big problem so maybe not.

I think fatigue is part of it, and I also think affluence (relative to the rest of the world) and a shit-ton of possible leisure activities make people numb to politics. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2012, 09:12:14 AM
It's politics, Meri.  Remember the Wellstone memorial?  Yeah, I figured you wouldn't.

:blink:

I was knee-deep in diapers and going through a divorce in 2002. No, I didn't remember it, probably because I ignored politics during that time. There was enough drama in my own life; I didn't need that shit.

Reading up on it, I find it just as disgraceful as this is. Nonetheless, that was the aftermath of an accident, not a massive storm that is in process. And both incidents are indicative of why I despise both parties. Unlike you, I don't find one any better than the other. They both suck donkey balls equally.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2012, 09:21:21 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2012, 09:12:14 AM

:blink:

I was knee-deep in diapers and going through a divorce in 2002. No, I didn't remember it, probably because I ignored politics during that time. There was enough drama in my own life; I didn't need that shit.

Reading up on it, I find it just as disgraceful as this is. Nonetheless, that was the aftermath of an accident, not a massive storm that is in process. And both incidents are indicative of why I despise both parties. Unlike you, I don't find one any better than the other. They both suck donkey balls equally.

Ah, so you are a coward.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017