News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Presidential Election!

Started by Kleves, October 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who gets your vote for President of the United States of America?

I'm an American and I vote for Obama - just the man to turn American around after four miserable years
24 (29.6%)
I'm an American and I vote for Romney - his day one job: get ride of Obamacare and then strip America down and sell it for parts
14 (17.3%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Obama - a weak and apologetic America pleases me
30 (37%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Romney - a Mormon in the White House? That will be hilarious!
3 (3.7%)
I am American, and I waste my vote by voting for a third party
6 (7.4%)
I am not an American, but I would vote for Jaron
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 80

derspiess

My local rag endorsed Romney!  But that's not exactly a shock, given past endorsements.  I wonder if they actually have GOP-leaning journos/editors or they're just placating the locals here in a GOP stronghold.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on October 29, 2012, 09:58:10 AM
Agreed. If the unemployment rate bumped back up the psychological 8% barrier, it could tilt the election into a clear Romney win.

That may turn out to be a "tree falls in the woods" thing: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/10/29/labor-department-may-delay-jobs-report/

Wouldn't it be funny if the numbers showed 8% and we didn't know about it until Nov. 7th?  :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

The financial boosting effects of Quantitative Easing 3 are currently keeping the President afloat.

What effects? QE stopped working two years ago in the US. The poor Japanese haven't been able to make it work for decades. They're on QE9 for the Yen.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 10:43:47 AM
My local rag endorsed Romney!

Which one, the Whitey Times-Picayune?

QuoteI wonder if they actually have GOP-leaning journos/editors or they're just placating the locals here in a GOP stronghold.

Contrary to popular belief and the fevered masturbatory conspiracy fantasies of you GOPtards, not every newspaper editorial board is filled with bleeding heart WoodSteins straight out of 1972.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2012, 11:42:12 AM

The respected and still somehow profitable Cincinnati Enquirer.  But you knew that.

QuoteContrary to popular belief and the fevered masturbatory conspiracy fantasies of you GOPtards, not every newspaper editorial board is filled with bleeding heart WoodSteins straight out of 1972.

Even my journo friends share my skepticism.  Btw both those guys are absolutely deified in J-schools everwhere.

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 29, 2012, 11:34:58 AM
What effects? QE stopped working two years ago in the US. The poor Japanese haven't been able to make it work for decades. They're on QE9 for the Yen.

I wouldn't say it stopped working.  Diminishing returns, yes.  But QE3 had at least a small momentary effect.

And by working, I'm speaking in terms of short-term.  I don't have any faith that it works on a larger scale.

Phillip V

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 11:50:54 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 29, 2012, 11:34:58 AM

I wouldn't say it stopped working.  Diminishing returns, yes.  But QE3 had at least a small momentary effect.

And by working, I'm speaking in terms of short-term.  I don't have any faith that it works on a larger scale.
Agreed. QE3 immediately raised the stock market to new highs the day it was announced, boosted consumer sentiment in September, and probably influenced the several hundred thousand hiring of part-timers that boosted jobs numbers. An employed part-timer is defined as working one (1) to thirty (30) hours per week.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 11:48:36 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2012, 11:42:12 AM

The respected and still somehow profitable Cincinnati Enquirer.  But you knew that.

I don't know what secondary reading sources you use.  One can only read The Turner Diaries so many times.

QuoteContrary to popular belief and the fevered masturbatory conspiracy fantasies of you GOPtards, not every newspaper editorial board is filled with bleeding heart WoodSteins straight out of 1972.

Even my journo friends share my skepticism.  Btw both those guys are absolutely deified in J-schools everwhere.

Of course they are, much in the same way the Founding Fathers have completely distorted in modern Political Science.   Modern American journalism is now for retards with no frontal lobe activity.

Phillip V

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 11:18:59 AM
Agreed. If the unemployment rate bumped back up the psychological 8% barrier, it could tilt the election into a clear Romney win.

That may turn out to be a "tree falls in the woods" thing: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/10/29/labor-department-may-delay-jobs-report/

Wouldn't it be funny if the numbers showed 8% and we didn't know about it until Nov. 7th?  :mellow:
:hmm:

merithyn

:lol:

Romney's camp said he was going to suspend all campaigning during the storm, but he went to a high school in Cleveland right after that announcement was made. He ended the speech by saying that this was a time for everyone to come together and work as one unit to get through this. Then his people load up his big "ROMNEY" bus with emergency supplies to distribute while he heads to Iowa for another event.

I suppose it's all he can do, really, since this is going to end up the Obama Show during and after the storm.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Well the last time a GOP presidential candidate suspended his campaign due to a disaster it didn't work out too well :(

derspiess

So Politico's Battleground poll has Obama up by 1 point, 49 to 48.  Yet when they feed the numbers into their "vote election model" it somehow turns into 52 to 47 Romney advantage

The Larch

Has this one already been posted?  :lol:

Syt

Classical Archives have under their new releases these two CDs:
- Music for Republicans
- Music for Democrats

Both have the exact same collection of patriotic songs. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

Romney currently leads Obama by 6 points (52%-46%) among voters who already cast their ballots: http://www.gallup.com/poll/158420/registered-voters-already-cast-ballots.aspx

Bill Clinton will start campaigning in Minnesota tomorrow: http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/10/clinton-to-minnesota-147642.html