Started by Caliga, October 21, 2012, 08:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fireblade

Acid, amnesty, and abortion sounds pretty good to me. RIP :(

Count

:(

Wissam al-Hassan, Big Tex, George McGovern... these things always happen in threes.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Seemed like a nice man, even if he was up against the spirit of the age in his presidential run.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Made me pick up The Boys On The Bus again after many years.  When political journalism was actual journalism, and fun.

Count

http://bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2012/10/21/george-mcgovern-indelible-mark-massachusetts-politics/DSStNzC9nxsLdmmGG3WGuN/story.html

Quote"Don't Blame Me, I'm From Massachusetts."

Tucked away in old barns and auto graveyards are reminders of what the 1973-74 Watergate scandal felt like here in Massachusetts, where voters chose Democratic candidate George McGovern over Republican Richard Nixon in the 1972 presidential campaign: vindication, spelled out on now-fading bumper stickers.

Since 1928, Massachusetts has backed only two Republican presidential candidates: Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 and '56, Ronald Reagan in '80 and '84. When the state voted for McGovern 40 years ago, largely on the basis of his opposition to the Vietnam war, none of the 49 other states followed suit. That lopsided outcome turned Massachusetts into a punchline for countless political jokes. But as time passed, it also made a statement to the rest of the country that transcended partisan politics -- and has been a source of pride ever since.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

MadImmortalMan

Get The Wild Blue. Great book. Ambrose + McGovern = win.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers