And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Underrated Films?

Started by Queequeg, October 17, 2012, 11:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2012, 07:53:25 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2012, 07:24:02 AM
The Changeling, not the recent one, but an older 70s horror film with George C. Scott. Always sends chills down my spine.

It's an excellent movie - one of my favorites in the genre - but I dunno if it is underrated: seems to me it is generally regarded as excellent.

I'm sure I've watched it, can recall it was rather good, but not a lot else.

My vote goes for 'Electra Glide in Blue', I bet it would be real cheesy if I saw it again.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2012, 02:55:05 AM
Existenz.
Probally one of the few films to handle video games well. It really is very good. But nobody has heard of it.

I've heard of Cronenberg's 1999 bowel movement.

I've mentioned Joe Dante's Explorers before.  It's probably the movie with the most points in both columns, being both criminally underrated (to the extent it rates at all--I don't believe it even has a proper DVD in print right now) and of the highest quality (I gave it an A+).

Otherwise, maybe the Truman Show?  I don't know if I want to say it's underrated, because it released to good reviews and afaik financial success.  However, no one really talks about it anymore, which is a shame, since it's probably the best movie of the 1990s and one of my favorite of all time, and manages to be prescient science fiction at the same time it undertakes its religious allegory, so seamlessly that apparently a lot of people never even grasp what it's doing on the latter end (which, to be fair, means that a lot of people are kinda dumb).

Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness are highly underrated, even by people who ostensibly have a love for John Carpenter films (Ghosts of Mars is not underrated :bleeding: ).

And there's always Temple of Doom.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

The Changeling, not the recent one, but an older 70s horror film with George C. Scott. Always sends chills down my spine.

It's an excellent movie - one of my favorites in the genre - but I dunno if it is underrated: seems to me it is generally regarded as excellent.

I just watched this a couple of days ago, and while it's good, I dunno if I'd go as far as excellent.  It's also not much of a horror film--more of a mystery.

I kept wanting someone to say that maybe if Joseph had been this active when he was alive maybe his dad wouldn't have drowned him. :goodboy:

I thought they didn't do as much with the most interesting idea the movie had as they could have--I mean, they treat the senator as essentially complicit, but I couldn't help but see him as a victim himself, and a rather sympathetic character.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

Zero Effect.  Hands down, Bill Pullman's and Ben Stiller's best performances.  Really good stuff.

Exorcist III.  A little hamfisted, but George C. Scott chews the scenery like a badass.

The Spanish Prisoner.  Campbell Scott does his best I'm Not George C. Scott performance; Steve Martin is a perfect con man.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on October 18, 2012, 07:22:42 PM
The Spanish Prisoner.  Campbell Scott does his best I'm Not George C. Scott performance; Steve Martin is a perfect con man.

That was a good 'un.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

The Mechanic (Orignal)
Leaving Las Vegas
King of New York
Outland
The Professional
Devils Rejects
Kindergarten Cop
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Outland. :thumbsup:

Professional: 12 year old Natalie Portman :boner:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on October 18, 2012, 06:53:27 PM

I just watched this a couple of days ago, and while it's good, I dunno if I'd go as far as excellent.  It's also not much of a horror film--more of a mystery.

I kept wanting someone to say that maybe if Joseph had been this active when he was alive maybe his dad wouldn't have drowned him. :goodboy:

I thought they didn't do as much with the most interesting idea the movie had as they could have--I mean, they treat the senator as essentially complicit, but I couldn't help but see him as a victim himself, and a rather sympathetic character.

All good points. Though I still call it a horror, in that it's a haunted house thing. And the wet ball bouncing down the stairs always gets me. :menace:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on October 18, 2012, 09:22:41 PM
Leaving Las Vegas

Won Nicolas Cage an Oscar. You think it's even better than that?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

My current fave "underrated" film is probably still Primer.   I've met a disappointingly few number of people that have ever seen it, or even heard of it.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 18, 2012, 09:36:03 PM
My current fave "underrated" film is probably still Primer.   I've met a disappointingly few number of people that have ever seen it, or even heard of it.

Oh?  That's a shame.  I thought it kind of blew up and it was pretty widely seen.  It is rather good.  Oh of course I only movies I watch are thoroughly esoteric so what do I know? :P

Quote from: JosephusThough I still call it a horror, in that it's a haunted house thing. And the wet ball bouncing down the stairs always gets me.

True, but it's not very far into it before you realize the ghost is basically benign--at least in the sense that he harbors a very targeted hatred--and only wants his own back.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 19, 2012, 12:25:38 AM
Oh of course I only movies I watch are thoroughly esoteric so what do I know? :P

This is true;  those and shitball old movies, you've missed everything else in between.

Drakken

Straw Dogs. Whether you liked it or not, it hits you in the guts
Happiness.
Unfaithful
A Perfect Murder
Queen Margot
Bram's Stoker's Dracula
Christine
Halloween III

And I will always have a soft spot for Porky's.  :blush: