Started by merithyn, October 15, 2012, 10:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well? Can you?

Yes, and then some
Yes, but it's a stretch
Um... maybe?
No, but it wouldn't take long to get me there
No, why the hell would I do that?
I can outrun Jaron, and that's enough for me.

Syt

Not anymore. I used to do decently on the 5k runs during my military time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Yes, but I'll be highly annoyed that I had to run.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 10:43:25 AM
I'm just curious. I can, finally, run a mile without stopping. I didn't really think that it would take so long to get to this point. It sounds like something pretty much anyone should be able to do, but yeah... not so much.

What about the rest of you?

I can--but I'm slowly working back toward my goal of a sub 7 minute mile.

The first mile is by far the toughest. Once you get to two miles, the distance is very easy to add, so keep at it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on October 15, 2012, 10:58:05 AM
I have no idea but I ca't imagine that I could.  It would depend on who was chasing me and why, I can't picture running for any other reason.

No shit.  A lot easier to stop, turn around and beat them with a metal trashcan lid.

PDH

Not anymore - since I had three disks go bad a few years back, running is off limits.  I can ride 40 miles without stopping on my bike though.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2012, 10:47:09 AM
No, I can probably manage 400-600 yards to get to a bus stop to catch a bus, but I don't have the right muscles to do the rest.   :)

Are you sure? I would think with general cardio fitness you could make it a mile. I don't think muscles are generally the limiting factor.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 10:43:25 AM
I'm just curious. I can, finally, run a mile without stopping. I didn't really think that it would take so long to get to this point. It sounds like something pretty much anyone should be able to do, but yeah... not so much.

What about the rest of you?
Yes of course, I do it every day.  In my dreams.  :P

Up 'til very recently, I was unable to cross the street and walk over to my father's house without stopping.  Only since about a month can I reach the mailbox without stopping.  So, no, can't run a mile.  Yet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on October 15, 2012, 12:33:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2012, 10:47:09 AM
No, I can probably manage 400-600 yards to get to a bus stop to catch a bus, but I don't have the right muscles to do the rest.   :)

Are you sure? I would think with general cardio fitness you could make it a mile. I don't think muscles are generally the limiting factor.

I'd the main problem is running requires you to lift up you legs a bit, whereas in cycling to a large extent the need to move your leg up is achieved by the other leg forcing downwards.

Oh and what PDH said, once you're in you mid-40s I don't feel it's sensible to subject your body and joins to those sort of impacts/forces.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2012, 01:12:55 PM
Oh and what PDH said, once you're in you mid-40s I don't feel it's sensible to subject your body and joins to those sort of impacts/forces.

:ph34r: And I just started running in my mid-40s.

Of course, my aunt started running on her 50th birthday three years ago and now she regularly runs half-marathons, mud runs, and does triathlons. I don't think it's an age thing so much as a "my body isn't really fit for that" thing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

I'd the main problem is running requires you to lift up you legs a bit, whereas in cycling to a large extent the need to move your leg up is achieved by the other leg forcing downwards.

Well yeah, but it is very similar to walking in terms of muscle groups. I doubt there are many healthy people that are too weak to walk/jog/run a mile. It is the cardio fitness that gets most people.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 01:44:09 PM

:ph34r: And I just started running in my mid-40s.

Of course, my aunt started running on her 50th birthday three years ago and now she regularly runs half-marathons, mud runs, and does triathlons. I don't think it's an age thing so much as a "my body isn't really fit for that" thing.

Running does put a lot of pressure on your bones and joints. Nova did a program where they took a bunch of couch potatoes and trained them for running the boston marathon in 9-10 months. There was quite a bit of carnage in terms of injury, but then a lot finished the marathon, and a couple posted respectable times.

Previously I've had some knee problems and quite a bit of soreness from running, so I generally run on a rubberized track or a treadmill. I also don't run races longer than 10k--I also spend my effort trying to go faster rather than going further. It keeps pressure off of my legs.

Alexandru H.

I can run 1.609344 kilometers without stopping.

dps

I could do it without any particular problem, but I'd have to get into better shape to actually set a good time.

Tonitrus

I just ran about .75 miles (in about 6:15) without stopping.  Then did another 2.25 with an overall time (for 3 miles) of about 34:00 (most of that walking for about 2:00, then running for 2:00). 

I have gotten a bit out of shape.

PDH

It has nothing to do with age.  I used to run, I can't now.  Having the L3/L4 disc compress and herniate meant that prolonged pounding like running makes PDH lie on the floor for months on end.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM