And we're back!

Main Menu

Latin, school and you.

Started by Brazen, October 09, 2012, 05:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did you learn Latin at school?

Yes, I was taught at school.
18 (40.9%)
No, but I taught myself, or took a later qualification.
1 (2.3%)
No, but I've picked a little up from wider reading.
8 (18.2%)
No, but I picked up some terms from other subjects I studied e.g. law, biology.
9 (20.5%)
Veni, vidi, vici THIS mofo.
8 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Iormlund

I took the mandatory year when I was 15. Those who went with humanities did two more years alongside classical Greek, but I chose sciences.

Rather liked it, but I've always enjoyed foreign languages.

sbr

I dont know that it was offered at any school I went to.  I room a couple of years of French in high school and a couple of years of Spanish in college.

Razgovory

There is one neat benefit from learning Latin.  You get to see how words are connected to one another.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2012, 10:54:48 AM
There is one neat benefit from learning Latin.  You get to see how words are connected to one another.

I like how in English there will be some Indo-European root word that will then make its way into English in multiple forms from multiple paths.  Like the Indo-European Word for 'Father' became different words in Latin and Germanic and we have both.  'Hey that word looks and sounds alot like a word we already have and it means the same thing...but what the heck we'll take it.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."