Cabal Members: Great Alberta Judgment on the "Freeman" Phenom

Started by Malthus, October 10, 2012, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Justice Rooke of the Alberta Court lays down the law on "Freeman" legal woo nonsense. A great, if lengthy, read for lawyerly types.

http://canlii.ca/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

I'll have to read through this.  As much as I hate the practice of the law and the corrupting effect it has on our society, the Freeman thing is even worse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2012, 10:59:54 AM
Short version?

"Freemen" and the like are a species of vexatious litigant who use spurious arguments that have no legal validity in the hope that they can 'work' the court system. These people are annoying to judges it is true, and often attract sanctions like contempt of court, but they are also victims of con men who sell them a line of bullshit - sort of like the legal equivalent of medieval alchemists who promise clients that, if they know the right ritual incantations, they can create gold. In some cases, these con men are raking in big bucks selling dupes their craptastic strategies. They are supported by an underground of nonesense on the internet.

The bulk of the judgment outlines the typical strategies judges encounter.

The case itself was triggered by the troubles an ex-wife was having with one of these people in a divorce.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius