News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AV Club's top 50 movies of the 90s

Started by frunk, October 09, 2012, 09:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Heck, the 90s were long enough ago that I'd have to check and make sure that stuff wasn't actually late 80s or early 2000s before I make any definitive comments. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on October 09, 2012, 01:24:39 PM
Too many flaws from the perspective of it being a film.  If you are going to go Stoppard Shakespeare in Love is much more likely.

Meh, but it's got Roth and Oldman, 90's film indie sweethearts, and is a much more original screenplay adaptation. 

Shakespeare in Love is far too 1) gay, 2) stupid, and 3) exceedingly stupid in its gayness.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 09, 2012, 01:15:48 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2012, 12:21:31 PM
Pff, Cannibal Holocaust did it long before Blair Witch.

:yes:

by Ruggero Deodato no less :)

Two problems with that, though:
1) It's Italian
2) Not seen by enough Americans.

katmai

At least Seedy didn't mention that crap Wyatt Earp.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on October 09, 2012, 01:54:47 PM
At least Seedy didn't mention that crap Wyatt Earp.

:P :P :P :P  It's in my own Top Ten, fuck you very much.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Pedrito

The PIano; Schindler's list

Pity that the 90s were probably the worst timeframe in the careers of Kubrick and Woody Allen.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 01:11:02 PM
I'm glad to see some personal favorites made the list:

Naked (surprised people even remember this gem) ...

I hope Man Bites Dog makes it;  goddamned, that movie is fucking hilarious on so many fucking levels...

Bad Lieutenant (pure character study and one of the greatest leaps for an actor, ever)

Not that the other ones aren't very good, but these are 3 of my absolute favorite movies. They all totally transcend whatever genre they're supposed to be in, and are really dark and really funny at the same time.

Good choices, Seedy.   :cool: :hug:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

Chunking Express, Boogie Nights, Raise the Red Lantern, The Thin Red Line, LA Confidential, Breaking the Waves, Silence of the Lambs and The Sweet Hereafter would probably be my short list.  Pulp Fiction has no place on the top 50.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on October 09, 2012, 10:25:09 PM
Chunking Express, Boogie Nights, Raise the Red Lantern, The Thin Red Line, LA Confidential, Breaking the Waves, Silence of the Lambs and The Sweet Hereafter would probably be my short list.  Pulp Fiction has no place on the top 50.
:bleeding::bleeding::bleeding:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Resevoir Dogs would be up in the top 20.  Pulp Fiction gets really dull in parts. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

It's a fucking fantastic movie with some sub-fantastic moments.  I've never watched it without wanting to take a nap for all of Bruce Willis' relationship scenes. 

Eddie Teach

Oh come on, cute French girl, adorable accent, in her panties... That's easily worth listening to a couple minutes of nonsense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?