News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you got your heating on yet?

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2012, 05:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have temperatures dipped enough round your way to crank up the heating or light a fire yet?

Yes, it's brass monkeys hereabouts.
2 (5.4%)
I've had it on a couple of times when it got a bit chilly.
14 (37.8%)
Not yet, give it a few weeks.
12 (32.4%)
I only need it for the very coldest days of the year.
6 (16.2%)
I live somewhere where it doesn't get cold/summer's just around the corner
3 (8.1%)
I just snuggle up to Jaron.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 08, 2012, 09:28:08 AM
I've turned the heat on twice, much to Max's dismay. I'm sorry, but when the temp gets below 55F/12C, it's time to turn the silly thing on. I can add a sweater, slippers, and even a blanket, but I'm not sitting in my house with gloves on.  <_<

That being said, I agree with him in that I hate the heat on at night. The air should be crisp and cold while you sleep.  :Canuck:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 08, 2012, 11:07:26 AM
Yep. Even broke out the coats this morning for the trip to pre-school.

Yeah.  Both of my kids threw a shit fit over having to wear them.  Tommy said his was "too new".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Not yet.  I was reading/napping out in the backyard yesterday in shorts with my shirt off.  This is the warmest and most dry Fall I can remember.  Plan to do the same thing today.

Capetan Mihali

Turned it on last night here in Mass.  It had been dipping into the low-mid 60s indoors according the thermostat for too long.  But lord we are going to be paying for it.  :weep:  Contrary to Brazen, this is a first floor apartment (of three) located directly over a huge unheated, poorly-insulated basement.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 10:35:04 AM
What, and get my profile mixed in with the rest of the shut-in cat old maids?

I thought the purpose was to separate yourself from the rest of the crowd.

Yeah your profile is going to be with the dudes.  Very few men post profiles of themselves with cats and snuggies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

I keep switching the heater off, and my housemates keep turning it on.  This is what sweaters are for, guys.
Experience bij!

Cecil

I've turned the heat on twice, much to Max's dismay. I'm sorry, but when the temp gets below 55F/12C, it's time to turn the silly thing on. I can add a sweater, slippers, and even a blanket, but I'm not sitting in my house with gloves on.  <_<

That being said, I agree with him in that I hate the heat on at night. The air should be crisp and cold while you sleep.  :Canuck:

I read some scientist article that stated that the temperature in the room for a good nights sleep should be around 15C or in other words significantly colder than most have.

Martinus

I agree. Even with this cold weather, I sleep with my window open.

Valmy

Screw that.  That just makes it a million times harder to get up in the morning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 08, 2012, 12:14:31 PM
I keep switching the heater off, and my housemates keep turning it on.  This is what sweaters are for, guys.

Sounds like you need a good beatin'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

clandestino

Not really. Still with summer weather. Today it was 27C (81F).  :)

I'm having a few days of vacation in a week and I hope I can still go to the beach in October. It would be a first.

Sheilbh

Not yet.  It's only rarely cold and me and all of my flatmates are of the 'put another jumper on' school.  I won't have it on before October on principle, it'll be a few more weeks of consistent cold before I think it happens.

I also live on a top-floor, but it's an old Victorian tower and neither the roof nor the windows are insulated :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Nope.  Only drops to 52 tonight and is supposed to rebound into the 70s-80s by the weekend.  Gonna be a bit before the heat is necessary, assuming it is at all (it wasn't last year).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 08, 2012, 08:57:39 PM
Not yet.  It's only rarely cold and me and all of my flatmates are of the 'put another jumper on' school.  I won't have it on before October on principle, it'll be a few more weeks of consistent cold before I think it happens.

I also live on a top-floor, but it's an old Victorian tower and neither the roof nor the windows are insulated :ph34r:

All us drafty living people need to get on the DIY plastic-sheet window insulation.  I did it a couple years, maybe '06 and '07, and I think it saved a lot.  But it's a lot of work, especially if you're splitting the bill with a bunch of workshy genetically hardy and/or chronically ill types, who either way would rather bundle up than work or pay.   <_<
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

lustindarkness

I wish I had the $ for better insulation, it went down to 44-45 last night and with no ac/heat on this morning it was 64 inside the house. Nice for me but hard to get kids out of bed when it is cold inside, I had to turn on the heat.
Anyway, seems it went down quite a bit, I know the attic insulation we have is not enough. <_<
Grand Duke of Lurkdom