European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

How is defending a state from an invading state "Imperalism"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

clandestino

What is seen by "invasion" by some, can be seen as "liberation war" by others.  ;)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2012, 08:27:18 PM
Well it was one of Britain's most common ploys in India.  I'd see it as America's grubby colonial war, picking up shortly after France's grubby colonial war.  And, yeah, I've heard Zanza's comparison with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan too.

The other element is that I think a significant part of protests at the time were about European politics as much as American.  They were a generational challenge to the European post-war consensus.

QuoteI think the point here is that someone was comparing US involvement in Vietnam to Auschwitz.
I don't think that is the point.  We'd all agree that that was ridiculous and people on the internet are stupid.  Then the thread would end.  Talking about European view on Vietnam is new and interesting and has debates.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 08, 2012, 08:35:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2012, 08:27:18 PM
Well it was one of Britain's most common ploys in India.  I'd see it as America's grubby colonial war, picking up shortly after France's grubby colonial war.  And, yeah, I've heard Zanza's comparison with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan too.

The other element is that I think a significant part of protests at the time were about European politics as much as American.  They were a generational challenge to the European post-war consensus.

QuoteI think the point here is that someone was comparing US involvement in Vietnam to Auschwitz.
I don't think that is the point.  We'd all agree that that was ridiculous and people on the internet are stupid.  Then the thread would end.  Talking about European view on Vietnam is new and interesting and has debates.

Okay, what exactly made it "colonial" or "Imperialist"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Oh and Shelf is right.  The picture isn't really the point.  It just sparked my interest.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 08, 2012, 08:35:16 PM
Well it was one of Britain's most common ploys in India.

No it wasn't.  Britain's common ploy in India was to offer support to a local Raj in return for subject status and then annex the common enemy too.  Britain didn't gain an empire by defending victims of aggression then packing up and going home.

QuoteI'd see it as America's grubby colonial war, picking up shortly after France's grubby colonial war.  And, yeah, I've heard Zanza's comparison with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan too.
[/quote]

As Raz asked, how was it a colonial war?  Colonial wars were fought to aquire territory and subject states.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 08, 2012, 08:42:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2012, 08:36:55 PM
Okay, what exactly made it "colonial" or "Imperialist"?
What do you mean by those terms?

That's what I want to know!  You were the one who used the word "colonial", and Zanza used the term "Imperalist".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2012, 08:44:48 PM
No it wasn't.  Britain's common ploy in India was to offer support to a local Raj in return for subject status and then annex the common enemy too.  Britain didn't gain an empire by defending victims of aggression then packing up and going home.
You lost, at best you abandoned an ally to further other interests - you didn't pack up and go home, 'Mission accomplished'. 

QuoteAs Raz asked, how was it a colonial war?  Colonial wars were fought to aquire territory and subject states.
Ok, grubby imperial war, but one that followed very shortly on from a colonial war except with the Americans instead of the French.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2012, 08:51:01 PM
That's what I want to know!  You were the one who used the word "colonial", and Zanza used the term "Imperalist".
Yeah, imperialist is right and colonial is wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

'Lost' is a strong word.  They negotiated a peace that was status quo antebellum.  When the North Vietnamese broke the deal and engaged in their killing fields, that's when the US abandonned their ally.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 08, 2012, 08:54:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2012, 08:51:01 PM
Yeah, imperialist is right and colonial is wrong.
Just like their imperialist war against the Germans in the 40s?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2012, 09:02:28 PM
'Lost' is a strong word.  They negotiated a peace that was status quo antebellum.  When the North Vietnamese broke the deal and engaged in their killing fields, that's when the US abandonned their ally.
Which everyone knew was going to happen.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

European sympathies with criminal regimes have been noted.

derspiess

Surprised people here are actually using the term "imperialism".  You guys are social democrats, not Marxists.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall