European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

There is a picture that's been circulating around the net for years comparing the US and the EU.  It's silly really, but I keep thinking about it (it's been posted here once at least).  It compares the various deficits and virtues of both the EU and the US.  Under the history heading it shows Auschwitz as a bad thing for Europe and a photo from the Vietnam war for the US.  This strikes me as pretty strange, so I wondered how exactly do our European friends view American involvement in Vietnam.  Personally I see it as noble if misguided.  While South Vietnam was a corrupt kleptocracy that lacked support from much of it's population it's northern neighbor was an aggressive, dishonest and authoritarian regime.  Essentially the US was defending one state from another and that seems to be a noble enough goal.  The main problem was that US lacked or didn't implement quick enough a successful strategy for South Vietnam, not that it was it's actions were innately evil.  True, innocent people died, but peace also killed quite a few innocent people in South Vietnam as well.  The NVA was pretty ruthless with populace once they successfully conquered it.

So my question is mostly posed toward the Euros, but anyone can answer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

It was a mistake, but our heart was in the right place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

The issue people had with Vietnam was more with the American methods than their helping South Vietnam.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 08, 2012, 03:37:16 AM
The issue people have with Vietnam is with the American methods rather than their helping South Vietnam.

People who?  That certainly doesn't sound like the boilerplate criticism that I'm accustomed to hearing.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2012, 03:39:00 AM
The issue people have with Vietnam is with the American methods rather than their helping South Vietnam.

People who?  That certainly doesn't sound like the boilerplate criticism that I'm accustomed to hearing.
People who moan about the Vietnam war.
Whenever I see it its far more about sending in conscripts to die, agent orange, napalming villages, etc...
Nobody really cares about the geo-politics of it all.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

The issue people had with Vietnam was more with the American methods than their helping South Vietnam.
Given the state of military technology of the time, I find it unlikely we could have done much better with regards to civilian casualties given the scale of the conflict.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 08, 2012, 03:46:03 AM
Whenever I see it its far more about sending in conscripts to die, agent orange, napalming villages, etc...

Plenty of people who have moaned and still moan do so regarding the oppresive imperialist Americans oppressing the independence-loving Vietnamese people.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2012, 03:49:04 AM
Plenty of people who have moaned and still moan do so regarding the oppresive imperialist Americans oppressing the independence-loving Vietnamese people.
Maybe in the 70s. The only place I ever see that kind of crap is from marxists and other idiots. Really not a majority viewpoint at all.
I very much doubt that was the thinking behind the very strained auschwitz comparison, seems pretty certain to me that was far more about American behaviour in the war rather than the war itself.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Then why don't they complain about Allied involvement in WWII?  You have conscripts and firebombing there as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

At a rough guess, less than 5% of Europeans think of it at all. For many of those that do, their impressions will be based on a number of Hollywood films and images of the protests in the late 1960s.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2012, 04:24:49 AM

Then why don't they complain about Allied involvement in WWII?  You have conscripts and firebombing there as well.
hardcore anti-american en pro-communist shitheads do complain about that.

Richard Hakluyt

I don't recall anyone mentioning it for years. At the time the usual leftists were anti-US, but their views are not worth thinking about as they are anti-US regardless  :D

My father would watch the news reports and grumble at what he considered to be American over-reliance on bombers in particular and hardware in general. He thought you needed more infantry patrols, though I would have thought that would have involved a greater commitment by the men and the US  :hmm: I'm not sure how much he had analysed the situation, it may just have been standard crabby old soldier grumbling (vet of Korea and the Malaya counter-insurgency).

Syt

Quote from: Gups on October 08, 2012, 04:35:04 AM
At a rough guess, less than 5% of Europeans think of it at all. For many of those that do, their impressions will be based on a number of Hollywood films and images of the protests in the late 1960s.

This. I think the most prevalent "memory" in the general public would be that the U.S. military with all its firepower was unable to beat a technologically inferior backwater country in a war that was not worth fighting (in hindsight).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 08, 2012, 04:54:13 AM
I don't recall anyone mentioning it for years. At the time the usual leftists were anti-US, but their views are not worth thinking about as they are anti-US regardless  :D

My father would watch the news reports and grumble at what he considered to be American over-reliance on bombers in particular and hardware in general. He thought you needed more infantry patrols, though I would have thought that would have involved a greater commitment by the men and the US  :hmm: I'm not sure how much he had analysed the situation, it may just have been standard crabby old soldier grumbling (vet of Korea and the Malaya counter-insurgency).
We already had half a million men there. How many did he want?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Enough to win the war of course. Not much point fighting wars in foreign lands unless you intend to win them.