Member of House Science Committee: Evolution is a lie from the pits of hell

Started by Syt, October 07, 2012, 01:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

There is quite a long history of charismatic fleecer preachers. Megachurches and the Christian industry is quite lucrative. I will probably join in a decade or two.

Edit: Catholic Church even suffered a Reformation movement to counter their fleecing. Now there just needs a movement to counter the molesting.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2012, 03:51:43 AM
One would think an idea like the Big Bang would be easy for theologists to reinterpret and co-opt into their theology.

It's funny you would say that.  The Term "Big Bang theory" was coined by it's critics in order to denigrate it.  They felt it seemed to much like creationism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2012, 03:51:43 AM
One would think an idea like the Big Bang would be easy for theologists to reinterpret and co-opt into their theology.

George Lemaitre was a Jesuit priest. The pope even offered to make the big bang catholic doctrine. Theologists usually do like the Big Bang, until they hear about the details.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Can one of the Languish GOPTards explain to me why these guys are always Republicans and never Democrats?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2012, 05:38:35 AM
Can one of the Languish GOPTards explain to me why these guys are always Republicans and never Democrats?

God is a Republican.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2012, 05:56:53 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2012, 05:38:35 AM

God is a Republican.

Makes sense. He is white, angry, old, lives in a gated community, and he only accepted his closeted gay son back into his house when the kid got the living crap beat out of him by some thugs.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2012, 09:26:42 PM
Am I the only one who finds it weirder that he's a doctor? :blink:

Yeah, I know it's technically possible to fail to understand/disbelieve in basic science concepts and still successfully diagnose illnesses and treat disease, in the same manner that it's technically possible to think that summary executions are the best justice policy while zealously representing criminal defendants in court, but nonetheless I'm not sure I would personally feel comfortable hiring either.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Indeed, much better for them to be doing relatively harmless things like making laws.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2012, 09:26:42 PM
Am I the only one who finds it weirder that he's a doctor? :blink:

Worked for Bill Frist.  He could diagnose vegetative states from television.

Maximus

Yea I don't find it that weird. AFAIK doctors don't have a reputation as exceptionally rational.

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on October 07, 2012, 10:09:01 PM
Yeah, I know it's technically possible to fail to understand/disbelieve in basic science concepts and still successfully diagnose illnesses and treat disease

It's still kinda worrying when an MD says that what he's been taught about embryology were lies from hell.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.