Arkansas GOP state rep "Slavery was good for African-Americans"

Started by jimmy olsen, October 07, 2012, 12:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: sbr on October 07, 2012, 01:32:19 AM
Are you sure about thay?

Yes. I am a time lord and have traveled extensively in both eras.  :bowler:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: sbr on October 07, 2012, 01:45:15 AM
Are labor unions a problem in africa?

I got the impression from Louis Theorux's shows that the Lagos unions are somewhat corrupt.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on October 07, 2012, 01:41:23 AM
Legalize drugs. Reduce non-violent crime penalties. Destroy the unions.

You are a weirdo, you know. You always come up with "solutions" that are partially right, partially wrong, and partially orthogonal to reality as we know it.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on October 07, 2012, 01:45:15 AM
Are labor unions a problem in africa?

Anglo American Platinum just fired 12,000 striking miners who would have liked to earn a reasonable living in South Africa, so I think: not really.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Unions are pretty powerless in the South, though..

It's certainly the case that our prison system is awful, and that the war on drugs has done horrible things to black communities. They are both failed policies. Prison and drug reform would be an impossible sell here, though- you immediately bat your head against the race issue. What are you, soft on blacks? Letting those thugs go free? Rewarding their criminal ways?

The South has too many of its social policies absolutely poisoned- there is unreasoned rejection of plenty of matters because the issue is northern or would be of material succor to blacks. The South has a reflexive factional siege mentality bad.  :(
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

Sorry but every time I see the title I can't help but think

"mmm, slavery"
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

There are times I think keeping the Union intact was a bad idea.  Free the slaves, fuck the South.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 07, 2012, 01:19:26 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on October 07, 2012, 01:06:42 AM
Do you really deny that it is a far better deal to end up born in America than Africa?

God knows what the fuck that has to do with anything.  Should Irish-Americans be thankful the British starved their forebears out of Ireland?  Jewish-Americans be thankful for Krystalnacht?  That's retarded.

By doing something horrible some people in past quite accidentally and only barely arguably did some folks a good turn, maybe.  THEY'RE THE REAL HEROES.

This without even getting into how the attitudes that led to the slave trade in the first place fed directly into in situ enslavement on the continent later on and turned black Africa into the hellhole we know and usually don't think about today.

Well to be fair, there is a tiny kernel of truth in to this.  Early Modern Africa was a really shity place.  Exporting slaves predated the European interest in it, and people would sell themselves and their children into slavery just so they wouldn't starve.  Several African kingdoms also had the bad habit of ritually sacrificing slaves.  Of course many of the wars where slaves were captured were egged on by the Europeans so with out Europeans there would probably be less wars, slave taking and famine.  So it's sorta like how a Ukrainian should be happy that the Soviet Union won WWII so they can be enslaved and brutalized rather then exterminated.  Kind of a weak positive.

There is a personal pet peeve of mine here, that we don't talk much about the African role in the slave trade.  When I was in high school I got the impression that Europeans would just land in Africa and capture Idyllic Africans in nets like bunny rabbits or something. I later found out that many African kingdoms were eager to sell slaves to who ever wanted them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2012, 01:53:25 AM

You are a weirdo, you know. You always come up with "solutions" that are partially right, partially wrong, and partially orthogonal to reality as we know it.

I don't see a partially right solution to any of this.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2012, 04:03:55 AM
There is a personal pet peeve of mine here, that we don't talk much about the African role in the slave trade.  When I was in high school I got the impression that Europeans would just land in Africa and capture Idyllic Africans in nets like bunny rabbits or something. I later found out that many African kingdoms were eager to sell slaves to who ever wanted them.

It's White Guilt at work.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

QuoteThere is a personal pet peeve of mine here, that we don't talk much about the African role in the slave trade.  When I was in high school I got the impression that Europeans would just land in Africa and capture Idyllic Africans in nets like bunny rabbits or something. I later found out that many African kingdoms were eager to sell slaves to who ever wanted them.
Yeah, that always sucks.
Even worse is the way you get crazies going on about how christianity is evil and non-African and has brought nothing but pain to Africans. Islam now! Islam is a good African religion. Muslims never did anything wrong! (except you know, take more slaves in their own right and play a major part in the European dealing....)
██████
██████
██████

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2012, 04:03:55 AM
Your teachers need to be fired. If they are retired, take away their pensions.

Syt

The way I recall it was taught to me in school was
- go with trinkets to Africa and trade for slaves
- take slaves to America
- ship Colonial produce to Europe
=> Profit!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.