A day out with the Berlin Airlift veterans

Started by Brazen, May 14, 2009, 09:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Three days ago marked the end of the Berlin Blockade, the first major incident of the Cold War. During it, the USAF, RAF, and other Commonwealth nations flew over 200,000 flights in an operation dubbed the Berlin Airlift that provided 13,000 tons of food daily for West Berliners whose supply lines the Soviet Union had blocked to starve them into giving them control of the whole city.

My Dad did his national service in this period, and was stationed around Berlin during the Airlift, including some time in the Olympic Stadium. I sent him a press release from the MoD about the anniversary, and being the savvy Silver Surfer he is, he tracked down a reunion of Airlift vets at the National Memorial in Staffordshire in September.

He's asked me to join him and I'm very much looking forward to hearing tales of an important part of World history first hand. 

Cecil

Coolio.  :thumbsup:

We expect a full AAR when you get back.

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on May 14, 2009, 09:40:45 AM
Three days ago marked the end of the Berlin Blockade, the first major incident of the Cold War. During it, the USAF, RAF, and other Commonwealth nations flew over 200,000 flights in an operation dubbed the Berlin Airlift that provided 13,000 tons of food daily for West Berliners whose supply lines the Soviet Union had blocked to starve them into giving them control of the whole city.

My Dad did his national service in this period, and was stationed around Berlin during the Airlift, including some time in the Olympic Stadium. I sent him a press release from the MoD about the anniversary, and being the savvy Silver Surfer he is, he tracked down a reunion of Airlift vets at the National Memorial in Staffordshire in September.

He's asked me to join him and I'm very much looking forward to hearing tales of an important part of World history first hand.
Actually, the amazing thing about the airlift was that something like 2/3 of what was lifted (by weight) was, in fact, mere coal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Lots of cool stories about the Airlift. Cool event, looking forward to what you have to write afterwards, B. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2009, 11:17:27 AM
Actually, the amazing thing about the airlift was that something like 2/3 of what was lifted (by weight) was, in fact, mere coal.

Indeed, heating and power supply were the main concerns. Many pilots dropped chocolate on parachutes for waiting children when approaching for landing. The Berliners called the transport planes affectionately "Rosinenbomber", i.e. Raisin Bombers. :)

The memorial in Berlin:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

A great job was done by the Airlift.

Good stuff Brazen, enjoy the reunion!

Zanza

The Berlin airlift was one of the most generous acts ever in international relations. Certainly showed the Germans that the Allies were really committed to freedom. Tell them they did a good job, Brazen.

grumbler

Yes, the airlift was significant for more than a few reasons.  First, as noted, it demonstrated to the Germans that they were to be defended as part of the west.  Second, it showed the Soviets that they couldn't get cheap wins in the Cold War.  Finally, it demonstrated that western technology was far more capable than the Soviets had anticipated, and in fact completely bypassed the infallibly tight Soviet blockade.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2009, 12:04:24 PM
Yes, the airlift was significant for more than a few reasons.  First, as noted, it demonstrated to the Germans that they were to be defended as part of the west.  Second, it showed the Soviets that they couldn't get cheap wins in the Cold War.  Finally, it demonstrated that western technology was far more capable than the Soviets had anticipated, and in fact completely bypassed the infallibly tight Soviet blockade.

The triumph of Western logistics in that operation probably dwarfs anything ever done in military history.  Hannibal in the alps has nothing on that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017