News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 5: Elway hurts Ohio. Again.

Started by CountDeMoney, October 03, 2012, 09:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Hm.  This Philly - Pittsburgh game sucks.

CountDeMoney

Man, and I thought Cleveland was a snakebit squad.  They got nothing on Kansas City:  turnovers, penalties, just overall bad mojo.

Ravens needed help to escape from themselves, and KC was willing to oblige.

sbr

I really have to stop benching Jamaal Charles in my money league.

Neil

Man, that one had me biting my nails.

Kruger had a pretty good game though.  When the Ravens decided to blow up those running plays in the backfield, he did a great job.  He was also in on helping the Chiefs by killing Cassel.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on October 07, 2012, 02:58:16 PM
He was also in on helping the Chiefs by killing Cassel.

You know a team's got problems when the fans think Brady Quinn is the answer to them.

CountDeMoney

Stupid Steelheads.

Looks like derspiess just had a bad day at the office.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Neil

Somebody forget to give the coach the photo that told him not to let Dalton throw to Hawkins in doubble-coverage.

Nice with by the Fins.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2012, 03:07:50 PM
Stupid Steelheads.
Vick really took that Steelers D on his back and made plays for them.

sbr

Motherfucker. cbs is showing sf/buffalo instead of Brady v manning.

Admiral Yi

Great game by Captain Neck Beard to beat the Pack.

Neil

I think the replacements might have broken the Packers.

Still, I must hate the Colts until Luck gets old enough to learn that neckbeards are for fucking troglodytes.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2012, 03:36:01 PM
Great game by Captain Neck Beard to beat the Pack.

The channel froze on me on right before the Colts touchdown.  It's still frozen.  I had to check the net to see what happened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

QuoteChiefs offensive tackle Eric Winston chose his words carefully in ripping the fans who cheered when quarterback Matt Cassel suffered a head injury in the fourth quarter and was removed from Sunday's 9-6 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

"We are athletes. We are not gladiators," Winston said. "This isn't the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard earned money to come in here. I believe they can boo, they can cheer, they can do whatever they want ... we're lucky to play this game. It's hard economic times, and they still pay the money to do this.

"But when somebody gets hurt ... there are long-lasting ramifications to the game we play ... I've already come to the understanding I won't live as long because I play this game. And that's okay. That's the choice I've made. That's the choice all of us made.

"But when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and just so happened to be Matt Cassel, it's 100 percent sickening. I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, I've never been so embarrassed in my life to play football, than at that moment right there."

Cassel was injured after he was sandwiched between Baltimore pass rushers Paul Kruger and Haloti Nagata after he completed a 16-yard pass to Jamaal Charles with 9 minutes, 37 seconds left in the game. Cassel has been under fire this season, especially after throwing three interceptions in last week's loss to San Diego.

"I get emotional about it because these guys work their butts off," Winston said. "Matt Cassel hasn't done anything to you people ... hasn't done anything to the media writers who kill him, hasn't done anything wrong to the people who come out here and cheer him. If he's not the best quarterback, he's not the best quarterback, and that's okay.

"But he's a person. And he got knocked out in a game, and we got 70,000 people cheering. Boo him all you want. Boo me all you want. Throw me under the bus. Tell me I'm doing a bad job, say I've got to protect him more ... but if you're one of those people who were out there cheering, or even smiled, when he got knocked out, I just want everyone to know it's sickening and disgusting.

"Don't blame a guy and don't cheer for a guy (when injured) who has done everything in his power to play as good as he can for the fans. It's sickening. I want every fan to know it. We have a lot of problems as a society if people think that's okay."

Cassel had a hand in all four of the Chiefs' turnovers, and three led to all 9 points Baltimore scored.

Cassel was charged with a fumble on a pitch that went off the hands of rookie Cyrus Gray; he fumbled a snap at the Baltimore 1; though Lilja was given the fumble on that play; and threw two interceptions, though one went off the hands of wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said it appeared Gray took his eye off the ball that Cassel pitched. And Lilja, a guard making his second start at center in place of Rodney Hudson, took the blame for the fumble at the 1.

"That's my fault," Lilja said of the botched snap at the goal line on the first drive of the third quarter when the Chiefs trailed 6-3. "I did not get it back there. I apologize to our fans, and I apologize to our guys., You can't do that down (at the goal line). I left it short, and it cost our team."

After Cassel was injured, backup Brady Quinn finished the drive that ended with a 31-yard field goal by Ryan Succop, cutting Baltimore's lead to 9-6 with 4:31 to play, but the Chiefs never got the ball back.

Winston said in the seven years he's played in the NFL, it's the first time he's seen a quarterback cheered when injured at home.

"And I've been on some bad teams and in some tough situations," he said. "I know the fans are frustrated. We're frustrated. And I understand the backup quarterback is sometimes the most popular guy on the team. I get it. But it's not okay"

Winston said he spoke with Cassel after the game but did not want to comment on Cassel's condition.

"We had a private conversation ... " Winston said. " I asked, 'How are you feeling?', I said some words to him, and that was it."

Kleves

I read the bolded bits before I saw who was speaking, and I thought to myself: wow, that's a surprisingly coherent/thoughtful thing for a football player to say - must be an offensive lineman talking.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.