How frequently do you stay in hotels that make you pay for the wifi?

Started by Martinus, October 03, 2012, 01:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Charging me for wifi is like charging me for toilet paper or electricity.  I hate it but sometimes have to stay in those hotels because of other reasons, e.g. price and location. 

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2012, 11:27:43 AM
Charging me for wifi is like charging me for toilet paper or electricity.  I hate it but sometimes have to stay in those hotels because of other reasons, e.g. price and location. 

So do you pay for it or do without?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

I've never paid for Wifi in a Spanish hotel. Then again I don't go to 5 star ones.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 11:32:19 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2012, 11:27:43 AM

So do you pay for it or do without?

I'm not mono, but it depends. Sometimes there isn't a choice. If there is an internet cafe (or gasp! McDonalds) nearby that is an option. A hotel I recently stayed at had free wifi in the lobby, but charged about $20/day in the room. I got the code for the free lobby wifi, and it turned out it worked in my room. Problem solved.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

I have never made my decision based on wifi.  In fact I dont think I have known in advance whether it was free or not. 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 01:47:33 PM
I have never made my decision based on wifi.  In fact I dont think I have known in advance whether it was free or not. 

Only decision I've made is on whether or not they have wifi.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 02:09:54 PM

Thats why we would never get along.  :hug:

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 02:11:36 PM

Because I want my hotel room to have internet? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 02:11:36 PM

Because I want my hotel room to have internet? :huh:

Because free internet isnt my priority when I am selecting a hotel to stay at - If I am on business I require something with a location convenient to what I am doing on that trip.  If it is meeting with clients it will be as close to their offices as possible.  Most everything I need I can get by accessing the internet at those offices or on my cell.

If I am travelling for pleasure the last thing I want is a connection to the internet.

What do you do alone in your hotel room with that free internet anyway  :P

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 02:18:14 PM
Because free internet isnt my priority when I am selecting a hotel to stay at - If I am on business I require something with a location convenient to what I am doing on that trip.  If it is meeting with clients it will be as close to their offices as possible.  Most everything I need I can get by accessing the internet at those offices or on my cell.

If I am travelling for pleasure that last thing I want is a connection to the internet.

What do you do along in your hotel room with that free internet anyway  :P

But I was agreeing with you that I don't ever check to see ahead of time if the internet will cost extra or not - and in general I don't even know.

I was saying though that I have sometimes picked hotels based on the fact that they have wireless internet available (whether or not free). When crossing through America, there were plenty of hotels that did not.

Oh and I don't have a smartphone, so when traveling I need to be able to look things up before I got for the day. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 02:20:36 PM
Oh and I don't have a smartphone, so when traveling I need to be able to look things up before I got for the day. :)

We all have smartphones Garbon.  Its just that some of us dont need to look up things on the phone first thing. ;)

garbon

Clearly we don't all have smartphones if I just stated that I don't. :huh:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 02:25:07 PM
Clearly we don't all have smartphones if I just stated that I don't. :huh:

But garbon, we all have smartphones.  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon