News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Western Europe declining?

Started by Martinus, October 01, 2012, 04:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I think the entire western world is struggling with the economic implications of globalization but I do not think there is some sort of terminal decline going on for Western Europe specifically...well ok maybe demographically but Eastern Europe is doing far worse in that department.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

hmmm.. maybe Western Europe should power the reversal of it's decline by attatching a dynamo to the spinning corpse of Oswald Spengler.  :rolleyes:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Western Europe started allowing Poles in to work.  Western Europe begins to look shody.  Coincidence?

Tamas

Eddie Teach

The question was "Is Western Europe declining?" Learn to read.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on October 01, 2012, 05:24:46 AM
I would never go to a UK McDonalds but I rather enjoyed one in Paris, where I had a (Mc) goats cheese salad and a beer.

By the way Mart, I'm in Brussels for work tonight just off Avenue Louise. Can you remember where's good to hang out on your own? Not Starbucks... :P

There are some very nice restaurants at Jourdanstraat and the other one that runs in parallel to it that I forgot the name of. :)

dps

Quote from: Brazen on October 01, 2012, 05:24:46 AM
I would never go to a UK McDonalds but I rather enjoyed one in Paris, where I had a (Mc) goats cheese salad and a beer.

The restaurant chains do vary their menu in different countries, which might make going to one more or less attractive, but Marti wasn't talking about that--he was talking about standards of cleanliness, which really shouldn't be all that variable.

OTOH, while standards of cleanliness in a given restaurant chain shouldn't be variable, in practice they are even within the confines of a single US state.  Heck, even within a single location--when I worked for Burger King, on days that I opened, I could walk in first thing in the morning and tell you which of the other managers had closed the night before without knowing their schedule, just by looking at the condition of the store.

crazy canuck

Why would you go to a Macdonald's in Paris?  Or anywhere for that matter?

Grinning_Colossus

It's one of the few restaurants with free public wifi in Georgia.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 01, 2012, 01:10:51 PM
It's one of the few restaurants with free public wifi in Georgia.

Why do you want free wifi at a restaurant?   

Grinning_Colossus

To download shit. The 3G modems here have a 5 gb monthly cap.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 01, 2012, 01:19:43 PM

Dont you have things like coffee shops with free access so you can then go to a real restaurant.

Grinning_Colossus

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2012, 01:23:33 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 01, 2012, 01:19:43 PM

Dont you have things like coffee shops with free access so you can then go to a real restaurant.

You clearly way overestimate the coffee shops of Tbilisi.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."