What are/will be the defining characteristics of the 20th Century in Retrospect?

Started by Queequeg, October 01, 2012, 12:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: dps on October 01, 2012, 11:31:27 AM
I'd say that the defining characteristics of the 20th Century in retrospect will be the growth of mass communications and pop culture.  There were elements of the former going back at least to the telegraph, and of the latter arguably going back even further, but they both really developed hugely in the 20th Century.  (I'd say that mass communications was the more important of the two, and in fact pop culture as we know it probably couldn't exist without it.)

The 19th certainly had "pop culture".  From newspaper serials to popular music distributed by sheet music, there was a widespread popular culture.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Faeelin

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2012, 11:41:47 AM
My perception of the 19th century was more one of expansion, exploration, advancement.  It was the era of the frontier, the gold rush, the colonial expansion, wiping white spaces off the map.

My suspicion is that Indians, Chinese, etc. would not agree with you.  Assuming the BRIC end up converging to or close to first world standards of living, the 20th century will probably be about a return to a "normal" global economy, and not one dominated by Northern Europe.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Astonishing progress in scientific understanding and conversely massive active rejection of that which contradicts the individual's and society's prejudices.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on October 01, 2012, 02:40:47 PM
Astonishing progress in scientific understanding and conversely massive active rejection of that which contradicts the individual's and society's prejudices.

What do you mean by "the individual's" prejudices and how are they adopted on a massive scale?

Razgovory

I imagine that 20th century will be remembered as the Age Ideology, where nations devoted themselves entirely to one strange ideal or another.  Typically with catastrophic results.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2012, 02:47:04 PM
I imagine that 20th century will be remembered as the Age Ideology, where nations devoted themselves entirely to one strange ideal or another.  Typically with catastrophic results.

How is that different from other ages?

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2012, 02:49:01 PM

There wasn't a great deal of ideological states in the 10th century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2012, 02:44:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 01, 2012, 02:40:47 PM

What do you mean by "the individual's" prejudices and how are they adopted on a massive scale?

Late 20th/ early 21st century economics allow more than a few individuals to live in massively delusional lifestyles, whereby much of what they 'randomly' decide is correct and reject out of hand the science as plain wrong.

For instance, every 3rd or 4th parent thinks of themselves an expert on immunology and the scientists involved aren't just wrong, but are actively conspiring against them/society/only doing it for big business etc.
Look at the new orthodoxies  in many areas of modern life ie organic food/farming is always best, and yet paradoxically if instituted worldwide, would really lead to half the world starving and dying.

In extreme cases, I can think of people who reject almost all sciences as corrupt and yet never reject any of its fruits.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2012, 02:52:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2012, 02:49:01 PM

There wasn't a great deal of ideological states in the 10th century.

Thats because there were no "states" in the 10th century  :P

Valmy

I seriously doubt that.  People will remember the 20th century depending on how it impacts their current world.  Those catastrophic results are not impacting them so they will probably not think of that.  Similar with the failed ideologies of the 20th century.  The advances of information technology and the like on the other hand will be remembered because they will still be around impacting human life.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2012, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 01, 2012, 12:51:20 AM
That got me thinking about common perceptions of the 19th Century.  The image is one of repression-of political, sexual, social and cultural movements stifled by decaying social mores and authoritarian co-opting of nationalist sentiment. 

That feels like a very European perspective on the 19th century.

My perception of the 19th century was more one of expansion, exploration, advancement.  It was the era of the frontier, the gold rush, the colonial expansion, wiping white spaces off the map.

when the non-european world defined itself as "the third world" it wasn't saying what it was, it was attempting to claim that it wasn't one of the two european ones. I think the history will be more eurocentric in our history books than the 3rd bc was mid-east centric. It is the point of time in history where one little part of the world dominated the rest more totally than at any other time since.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2012, 03:04:52 PM

I seriously doubt that.  People will remember the 20th century depending on how it impacts their current world.  Those catastrophic results are not impacting them so they will probably not think of that.  Similar with the failed ideologies of the 20th century.  The advances of information technology and the like on the other hand will be remembered because they will still be around impacting human life.

Well, it will be just as much an age of ideology as the Industrial Revolution was an age of Industry, the Enlightenment was an age of science and the Reformation was an age of religion. Ideology is the object, cause and mediating influence on all events of the 20th century in addition to involving itself in all aspects of it regardless.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

People will remember the 20th century as the age of simultaeneous progress and terrible human disasters. The great totalitarian regimes and the world wars will stand out; people will no more forget Hitler, Stalin and Mao than they have forgotten Ghengis Khan.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius