News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The death of the college bar?

Started by CountDeMoney, September 27, 2012, 11:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Meh, the kids are doing what they want. Let them have fun in their own way.  They'll still get pissed drunk, just not at a bar.

Bunch of old cranky bastards here. Honestly.  :rolleyes:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 28, 2012, 07:51:06 AM
Meh, the kids are doing what they want. Let them have fun in their own way.  They'll still get pissed drunk, just not at a bar.

Bunch of old cranky bastards here. Honestly.  :rolleyes:

You're missing the point of being a grown up.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 28, 2012, 02:57:19 AM
How swiftly you'd withdraw that statement, if you but saw the belles of Martin, TN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzZfWrMdfc

Not an impressive bunch, but for a normal dude who has a libido they'll do.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on September 28, 2012, 05:09:57 AM
London Metropolitan University is considering an alcohol ban on campus out of cultural sensitivity as 20% of its students are Muslim. The vice-chancellor said, "It may be ‘nostalgic’ to suggest most students still want to have drunken nights out."

In unrelated news, London Metropolitan University is facing a ban on recruitment of overseas students as it issued visas to individuals who did not meet immigration requirements, and those currently studying there might be deported...

Wait 20% of its students are practicing Muslims?  But I guess that makes sense.  I would get the fuck out of Pakistan to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

The idea of university students going to bars is alien to me.  When I was in university, I didn't know anybody who went to a bar.  Students should study and get jobs.

The Minsky Moment

QuotePregames often are single sex, with . . . women drinking vodka sodas or a peach-flavored Champagne called André

Oy gevult
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2012, 10:58:06 AM
The idea of university students going to bars is alien to me.  When I was in university, I didn't know anybody who went to a bar.  Students should study and get jobs.

I thought getting into University was the big thing in Asia but once you got there you could finally cut loose a bit.  So that is not true?  When do you get to cease to be a humorless repressed person?

But I do not think you are being accurate here.  The Chinese students at UT are not really like this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

They didn't invite Mono because they thought he was a

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Admiral Yi

So you benighted Yuros know what's being discussed, a college bar is a privately owned bar in the town where the college is located, frequented by students.  A bar that is actually run by the college and located on the school grounds is called something like "the campus pub."

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 28, 2012, 12:09:05 PM
QuotePregames often are single sex, with . . . women drinking vodka sodas or a peach-flavored Champagne called André

Oy gevult

I used to drink so much André. :wub:

Of course that was because it was like $2.50 a bottle at the grocery store. Here in New York it is like $7. <_<

Also, my pre-games typically involved straight men and women.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Brazen on September 28, 2012, 05:09:57 AM
London Metropolitan University is considering an alcohol ban on campus out of cultural sensitivity as 20% of its students are Muslim. The vice-chancellor said, "It may be 'nostalgic' to suggest most students still want to have drunken nights out."

In unrelated news, London Metropolitan University is facing a ban on recruitment of overseas students as it issued visas to individuals who did not meet immigration requirements, and those currently studying there might be deported...

Call me a snob, but a former poly overseas-student fee-mill sucking up to muslims doesn't egg me up much.  But, seriously, a vice-chancellor who doesn't think that most students want drunken nights out doesn't get students.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2012, 02:27:00 PM
So you benighted Yuros know what's being discussed, a college bar is a privately owned bar in the town where the college is located, frequented by students.  A bar that is actually run by the college and located on the school grounds is called something like "the campus pub."

This discussion could therefore be used as a case study in how sharing the same language can lead to mutual comprehension  :huh:

From my vantage point a University is divided into a number of colleges each of which will have its own bar, probably run by the JCR (undergraduates), perhaps with the assistance of professional staff. In addition the Student's Union will have a vast bar serving crappy beer. Pubs are, of course, public houses, ie private businesses that welcome anyone as customers. But then, I'm thinking of the arrangements at Durham, many/most? British Universities are not collegiate in structure, which is rather foolish of them but there it is.