News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question about Delaware corporate laws

Started by viper37, September 27, 2012, 02:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

What is so different there than from the rest of North America?

Apparently, lots of American and Canadian companies incorporate themselves in Deleware, and their main reason is the legal system there, not the apparent tax heaven.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: viper37 on September 27, 2012, 02:45:47 PM

Apparently, lots of American and Canadian companies incorporate themselves in Deleware, and their main reason is the legal system there, not the apparent tax heaven.

Really fast business-friendly court for disputes, judge only, with a lot of expertise in esoteric business bullshit:
http://courts.delaware.gov/chancery/

Also the ability to structure the bylaws in anti-shareholder ways and the income tax bits.

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on September 27, 2012, 02:57:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 27, 2012, 02:45:47 PM

Really fast business-friendly court for disputes, judge only, with a lot of expertise in esoteric business bullshit:
http://courts.delaware.gov/chancery/

Also the ability to structure the bylaws in anti-shareholder ways and the income tax bits.

Yep

The Minsky Moment

That used to be more significant and now is less so. (both b/c Del has become more shareholder friendly and other states have provided similar flexibility)

Perceived professionalism and experise of the judiciary, perceived predictability due to thick case law (important in CL jurisdiction) and relative speed and flexibility of the judicial system is more important.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

:yes:

My company is incorporated in Delaware too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

When I started my own bail bonds company with the assistance of my old bail bonds employer, it was incorporated in Delaware. 
There were only two corporate officers; I was the non-voting one.  :D

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2012, 06:46:17 PM
:yes:

My company is incorporated in Delaware too.

Teledyne is also incorporated in Delaware.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Excuse me, but what are "bylaws" ?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2012, 10:18:04 AM

In my lingo, lower ranking constitutional documents ("rules and regulations"), that are usually subordinate to statutes and articles of association, but it is possible that ulmont uses it just to mean any constitutional documents of the company.

Essentially a document or set of documents that set out the company's governance principles.

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2012, 10:24:36 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2012, 10:18:04 AM

In my lingo, lower ranking constitutional documents ("rules and regulations"), that are usually subordinate to statutes and articles of association

This.  Usually articles of incorporation will be very vague "formed for all legal purposes," etc. etc., and then the details of how the company will be organized are in the bylaws.

Admiral Yi

It's an abbreviation of "by the way laws."