Question about rationing during the wars

Started by merithyn, September 27, 2012, 02:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

This isn't something that I remember learning much about. During the rationing of sugar and other ingredients throughout and between the wars, what was the rule for those who grew their own? In other words, if someone decided to have bees to collect their own honey, were they allowed to keep it? Or were they required to turn it over? How did that work for other foods like vegetables, farm animals, etc?

In the US, we were encouraged to have Victory Gardens to help supplement foods not able to be bought in the stores. But I didn't know how it worked for some of the atypical stuff like honey, meats, and that kind of thing.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Nope.  Bees were rarely allowed to keep their own honey prior to Bee emancipation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Depended on whether you were of Japanese descent or not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2012, 02:42:16 PM
Nope.  Bees were rarely allowed to keep their own honey prior to Bee emancipation.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Honey bootlegging was a big problem back then.  IIRC, the Japanese gangs were particularly into that racket.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I've never heard any stories of farmers being busted for holding back output for personal consumption.

I've also read in various places that cheating on the ration system was widespread.

MadImmortalMan

There was that one USSC case about the wheat farmer but that wasn't during the war I think.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 27, 2012, 03:59:59 PM
There was that one USSC case about the wheat farmer but that wasn't during the war I think.

And about supply restriction, not consumption restriction.

derspiess

Anyway Meri I'm pretty sure livestock you grew yourself was not confiscated or subject to rationing.  My mom's parents did this during the war and had as much as they needed.  Occasionally they had enough surplus to sell-- in that case they actually did have to collect ration stamps from whomever was buying it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PRC

I'm thinking about keeping some bees in my backyard. 

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 03:49:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2012, 03:39:20 PM

<_<

What, are you part bee now?  Did I make light of the terrible burden borne by your vespid ancestors?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2012, 04:12:36 PM

<_<

What, are you part bee now?  Did I make light of the terrible burden borne by your vespid ancestors?

It reminds him of his worst ever fashion faux pas:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2012, 04:12:36 PM

<_<

:lol:  He pretended to be part bee during college as an experiment of sorts.