News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Getting rid of the muffintop - advice sought

Started by Martinus, September 27, 2012, 04:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok so this is currently my main problem when it comes to my body - I am not overweight, I managed to get my belly into proper size, but that's the thing that stays - the muffintop. Does anyone here have some good advice on what kind of exercise, diet or liposuction that could get rid of those.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Brazen

Hate to say it, but a muffin top is fat, plain and simple. You might fit into skinny trousers or have a healthy BMI, but if you've got a roll of fat at the sides you have to reduce your body fat percentage. The best way to do that is full-body weight training, heavy weights, low reps. Ditch isolation exercises, like biceps curls and crunches, and instead do barbell squats, deadlifts, power presses, push-ups etc. If you want something to use at home, get yourself a kettlebell, which will come with a set of exercises. Even if you only do swings, it's a great start.

Some friends swear by New Rules of Lifting, here's the first beginner's workout:
http://tracker.dailyburn.com/workout_programs/154524

For a core exercise with a cardio element, you can't beat plank-to-pushup or mountain climbers.

Grinning_Colossus

Run at least a few times a week, eat less fat and sugar.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

MadImmortalMan

What Brazen said mostly. Cut bread and sugar. Intermittent fasting has worked very well for me for this particular thing. Google it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Ditch the sugar, grains and all the rancid vegetable oils (soy, corn, canola). Eat Paleo-style and do what Brazen commands. That's how I got rid of the blubber. But the overall effects have been so good on my mood and sleep that at this point the weight loss is just an ancillary benefit. But the best excercise plan in the world won't help you if you eat crap. Body composition is 80% your diet I'd say.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/#axzz27ggwEj61
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2012, 11:23:45 AM
I don't think religion is the answer.
Because licking spray cream off a priest's kneecap is highly calorific.

Drakken

Decrease your caloric intake to about 500 calories under maintenance, do exercise and cardio, sleep 8-9 hours per day.

CountDeMoney

The fuck is a muffintop?  Is that gay/European for love handles?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2012, 01:56:32 PM
The fuck is a muffintop?  Is that gay/European for love handles?

Pretty sure I've heard women use the term here in the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.