News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will No One Think Of The Children Pt23

Started by mongers, September 25, 2012, 07:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

If those statistics are to believed, then why is no one campaigning for helmet, and for that matter other body armour/neck protection, to be made mandatory for those using trampolines.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

The state's view of risk is incredibly immature. And that means we spend billions on the wrong things for childish reasons instead of reducing risk in a rational way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Best safety tip I've seen so far:

If possible, lower the height to ground level by putting the trampoline in a pit
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: The Brain on September 26, 2012, 01:27:48 PM
The state's view of risk is incredibly immature. And that means we spend billions on the wrong things for childish reasons instead of reducing risk in a rational way.

From what I've seen the government's basic view often is, if something has happened, ever, that someone was injuried doing, if a lot of people are raising a big fuss over it in the media, then it's something risky enough that it needs to be regulated.  If there's not a lot of people raising a big fuss about it in the media, it's not risky enough to be regulated, even if more injuries and deaths have occured from it than from other things that are having a fuss raised about in the media.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Phillip V on September 25, 2012, 07:15:19 PM
Send the 33% of children who are obese/overweight to jump on the trampolines until they break.

the children or the trampolines?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: dps on September 26, 2012, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 26, 2012, 01:27:48 PM

From what I've seen the government's basic view often is, if something has happened, ever, that someone was injuried doing, if a lot of people are raising a big fuss over it in the media, then it's something risky enough that it needs to be regulated.  If there's not a lot of people raising a big fuss about it in the media, it's not risky enough to be regulated, even if more injuries and deaths have occured from it than from other things that are having a fuss raised about in the media.
I think that's caused more by legislators who want their name on a bill than any desire on govmint bureaucrats to regulate the shit out of everything.
PDH!

sbr

How did this get to be about government?  This was a group of doctors who said trampolines are very unsafe, which is true.

Phillip V

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 27, 2012, 02:21:29 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 25, 2012, 07:15:19 PM
Send the 33% of children who are obese/overweight to jump on the trampolines until they break.

the children or the trampolines?