Will No One Think Of The Children Pt23

Started by mongers, September 25, 2012, 07:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Didn't know these were so dangerous, certainly more so than a garden hose:

US doctors say trampolines are a danger to kids
By Emily Selvadurai
BBC News

US doctors say children should be discouraged from using trampolines because they are a health hazard.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) estimates that almost 98,000 people are injured each year in the US on trampolines and many of these are children.

UK safety experts say the sport is growing in popularity here and related injuries are on the rise.

But they say trampolining can be a healthy way to exercise and good fun.

The renewed advice from the AAP says paediatricians need to "actively discourage" recreational trampoline use.

Dr Michele LaBotz, who co-authored the AAP report said: "Families need to know that many injuries occur on the mat itself, and current data do not appear to demonstrate that netting or padding significantly decrease the risk of injury."

The researchers found that most injuries occur when more than one person is on a trampoline.

Children under five are more likely to suffer serious injury, with 48% of injuries in this group resulting in fractures and dislocations.

Some injuries may even be fatal - failed attempts at somersaults and flips frequently cause cervical spine injuries, resulting in permanent and devastating consequences, says the AAP

Rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19713691

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Phillip V

Send the 33% of children who are obese/overweight to jump on the trampolines until they break.

Neil

This sort of thing is why progressives drive me nuts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2012, 07:25:03 PM

Doctors.  These are doctors.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 07:46:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2012, 07:25:03 PM

Doctors.  These are doctors.

And I must say that's a surprsingly high number of hospitalised injuries,whether in the USA or over here; I wonder what the per hour risk is, assuming American children don't spend 6-8 hours a day on the things.

Darth Wagtaros

Not surprising.  Alot of insurance companies will cut off coverage if a house has a trampoline. 
PDH!

sbr

Trampolines are almost as dangerous as pinatas.

Ed Anger

Quote from: sbr on September 25, 2012, 08:15:53 PM
Trampolines are almost as dangerous as pinatas.

Ugh, pinatas. Might as well have the first aid kit handy. A kid is either gonna get hurt with the stick or diving for the candy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Trampolines are apparently safe enough for dogs, though.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 08:41:56 PM

[Cal/]

Yeah and I seem to recall, they're pretty safe for large breasted women, as well.

[/Cal]

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on September 25, 2012, 09:17:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 08:41:56 PM

[Cal/]

Yeah and I seem to recall, they're pretty safe for large breasted women, as well.

[/Cal]

Only because they use them in slow motion.

Barrister

umm... trampolines are pretty darn dangerous in fact...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, I came pretty close to injuring myself quite severely on a trampoline once. Large-breasted women, on the other hand, are perfectly safe  :cool:

My kids had a trampolining craze a while back, but went to a sports centre and had proper instruction on properly-maintained equipment.

Grey Fox

My nephew broke his arm on a trampoline in early July this year.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.