News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Yeah - I think that might just been seen as BAU by the BBC or other entities reporting in China (a large number of British correspondents are now largely having to base themselves in Taipei or somewhere else in the region). I think getting netizens to be posting about their whereabouts and an angry crowd looking for them are new.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Speaking of support for the One China policy...is it now time to dissolve HK's Olympic team?  :hmm:

(and yes, I would agree/concede that it is kinda sketchy that Puerto Rico has its own team as well)

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 06, 2021, 05:20:33 AM
Speaking of support for the One China policy...is it now time to dissolve HK's Olympic team?  :hmm:

(and yes, I would agree/concede that it is kinda sketchy that Puerto Rico has its own team as well)

Yet another reason why PR needs to become a state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

The HK Olympic team does make me laugh. "Hong Kong - China".
Some real insecurities on show there.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on August 06, 2021, 10:40:13 AM
:lol:

Yes. I think China have also formally complained about the BBC coverage of "Chinese Taipei" which I think is the agreed name for Taiwan in the Olympics. I feel like the BBC should just reply "fine we'll call them Taiwan" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 10:41:13 AM

Yes. I think China have also formally complained about the BBC coverage of "Chinese Taipei" which I think is the agreed name for Taiwan in the Olympics. I feel like the BBC should just reply "fine we'll call them Taiwan" :lol:

I wish the ROTW would all just get on board with just telling the Chinese government, politely, to go fuck themselves whenever they bitch about this kind of crap.

The only thing China has to hold over everyone is their market, and that only works when the threat can be targeted - "If you don't do what we want, we will freeze you out!" only works if you can pick and choose who you freeze out.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Yep.
Also an opportunity for Vietnam or whoever to go "you can call us whatever the hell you want if you invest"

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 10:41:13 AM

Just for covering Taiwanese athletes at all?

Chinese Taipei is a weird compromise. Works precisely because in English and French there's no distinction between Chinese ala the country and Chinese ala the people. It dates back a while though so it is something where I could expect China to start kicking up shit again - I guess that's a brightside of the Chinese player beating the Taiwanese in badminton.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on August 06, 2021, 10:57:35 AM

Chinese Taipei is a weird compromise. Works precisely because in English and French there's no distinction between Chinese ala the country and Chinese ala the people. It dates back a while though so it is something where I could expect China to start kicking up shit again - I guess that's a brightside of the Chinese player beating the Taiwanese in badminton.
No for the use of "Chinese Taipei". As I say my understanding is that is the compromise name the IOC have agreed - incluidng China. It doesn't indicate independence in the way that Taiwan does, but isn't full-blown Republic of China.

Admittedly I love the refugee team but just scanning the medal table, every time I see ROC I immediately think "Taiwan's doing very well" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 11:01:42 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 06, 2021, 10:57:35 AM

No for the use of "Chinese Taipei". As I say my understanding is that is the compromise name the IOC have agreed - incluidng China. It doesn't indicate independence in the way that Taiwan does, but isn't full-blown Republic of China.

Admittedly I love the refugee team but just scanning the medal table, every time I see ROC I immediately think "Taiwan's doing very well" :lol:

Same/ I don't really understand Russia's punishment if all their athletes are still counted together.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 11:01:42 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :lol:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

The whole "ROC" thing is a pathetic "punishment".

Josquius

:yes: on all fronts.

I guess ROC medals won't count for Russia on the all time table? But. Pff.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

What's the ROC Russia thing?
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 01:08:26 PM
What's the ROC Russia thing?
ROC = Russian Olympic Committee.  It's a way to allow their doped-up athletes to compete without breaking the ban on Russian participation, as punishing the athletes as a whole for the doping scheme that they participated in was deemed unfair. 

Really, it's a huge propaganda boost to the regime, as every Russian medal is able to be shown as a glorious victory against a world that is oppressing Russia, and they can point to the ban as proof of the perfidy of the Olympic Committee. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

FFS - I thought that was the Refugee Olympics team and was really pleased how well they're doing (when I wasn't pleasantly surprised to see the Republic of China doing so well) :bleeding: :blush:

Truly an onion of incomprehension :(
Let's bomb Russia!