And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 23, 2021, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2021, 07:26:31 PM
I also want to ask, if say CNN openly called for China and Russia to sanction the US, would the US government just sit idly by and allow it to continue to make such calls?

Yes, the US government would in fact sit idly by and allow it to continue.

It's bizarre to me that you would even ask that.

In countries run by thugs, it is commo for the gullible in the population to believe that every other country in the world is secretly also run by thugs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2021, 10:33:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 23, 2021, 10:30:22 PM

What is your point?

That it is ok to stifle the press if they say stuff you don't like?

The point is, they are far from saints and they are not an objective paper seeking the truth.

And the people shutting them down are not saints and are not objective politicians seeming justice.  So what is your point?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2021, 11:00:59 PM
I still get plenty of media questions and complaints from anti-government media and websites.  Apple Daily is the largest riot-supporting paper, but is not the only one.  The others are still around.

The fact that some non-thug-supporting papers haven't been shut down by the thugs doesn't mean that it is okay that the thugs shut one of them down.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 24, 2021, 07:41:03 AM
Seriously Mono just go fuck yourself.

I think that it is helpful for us to know what the useful idiots in the PRC have to say.  Shutting them off here doesn't change anything.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Sad end for a once great poster.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 24, 2021, 11:15:59 AM

:huh:

His 'sad end' was years ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

He lives in the world he lives in. don't know why anyone is surprised after all these years. Personally i think Mono adds more then detracts.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on June 24, 2021, 11:00:03 AM
In countries run by thugs, it is commo for the gullible in the population to believe that every other country in the world is secretly also run by thugs.

Mono is not gullible though. He clearly understands what's going on and is making a choice to align with the authorities.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2021, 11:28:57 AM
He lives in the world he lives in. don't know why anyone is surprised after all these years. Personally i think Mono adds more then detracts.

Yeah, I enjoy Mono as long as he's not shilling for the authoritarians for whom he works.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2021, 11:23:02 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 24, 2021, 11:15:59 AM

:huh:

His 'sad end' was years ago.

Same issue as current discussion.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2021, 11:28:57 AM
Personally i think Mono adds more then detracts.

I disagree but that's nothing new.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2021, 11:31:30 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 24, 2021, 11:00:03 AM

Mono is not gullible though. He clearly understands what's going on and is making a choice to align with the authorities.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on June 24, 2021, 12:51:42 PM
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

I don't think it's due to stupidity nor maliciousness directly. I believe it's simply that Mono has decided what side his bread is buttered on, and goes all in, heart and soul. It's like he's a patriot, except he's not patriotic towards a nation but towards power. He has elevated being a lickspittle to the postion of supreme virtue. I suspect it's the result of pure moral cowardice.

Valmy

It is the type of moral cowardice that survives and endures. Like some Tsarist Bureaucrat who lived to eventually become People's Commissar of Railways.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I think Mono's always been about the idea that you submit to the order/leadership that prevails whoever it is and that's it.
Let's bomb Russia!