News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Monoriu on May 27, 2021, 02:37:07 AM
Hong Kong's main draw is the listing of Chinese companies.  They won't list in Singapore.

But they will list in Shanghai and Shenzen - daily equity trading in those markets already dwarfs HK.

I think sheilbh's point is well taken - if HK loses its unique status it ends up as just another large Chinese regional city.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2021, 08:10:31 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2021, 08:07:59 AM
I'm not 100% convinced the west will intervene in Taiwan. we didn't card when russia gobbled up a chunk of the ukraine.

Not even Ukraine (not "the Ukraine" anymore, btw) intervened when Russia took the Crimea.

But Russia struck at a very precise moment - in the immediate aftermath of a revolution in Ukraine.  Yanukovych fled the country Feb 22, 2014, while Russian special forces started seizing buildings Feb 27.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2021, 09:51:08 AMLike Legbiter said, if Taiwan can be controlled quickly, would the world come in an pry it from their grubby little commie hands? I'm not sure.

Taiwan is a very, very hard first opponent for the Chinese navy to tackle though. :hmm: For one it's apparently only feasible to invade once typhoon season is over, the distance to Taiwan from the mainland makes the Normandy invasion seem like a short jaunt and Taiwanese geography is a bitch with not that many feasible landing beaches available.

There's a million ways this goes tits up for the Chinese, probably better for them to go beat up Mongolia for that regime street cred.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: Legbiter on May 27, 2021, 11:26:43 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2021, 09:51:08 AMLike Legbiter said, if Taiwan can be controlled quickly, would the world come in an pry it from their grubby little commie hands? I'm not sure.

Taiwan is a very, very hard first opponent for the Chinese navy to tackle though. :hmm: For one it's apparently only feasible to invade once typhoon season is over, the distance to Taiwan from the mainland makes the Normandy invasion seem like a short jaunt and Taiwanese geography is a bitch with not that many feasible landing beaches available.

There's a million ways this goes tits up for the Chinese, probably better for them to go beat up Mongolia for that regime street cred.

Also, this isn't 1944 anymore.  A Chinese buildup to take Taiwan would be noticeable for weeks ahead of timegiving the US and others time to prepare.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2021, 11:29:03 AM
Also, this isn't 1944 anymore.  A Chinese buildup to take Taiwan would be noticeable for weeks ahead of timegiving the US and others time to prepare.
See the recent discovery from satellite images of a new airstrip on an Omani island - guessed to be Emirati.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

doesn't china have 2 million plus active soldiers? how much of a build up do they need? Although, i guess troop movement to the south would be noticeable.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2021, 11:32:16 AM
doesn't china have 2 million plus active soldiers? how much of a build up do they need? Although, i guess troop movement to the south would be noticeable.

It's a long way to swim. They could have 2 billion soldiers, but they still have to get them across the straight. It's not really a numbers thing, it is a transport and support thing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2021, 11:32:16 AM

I'm not confident that the regime would be able to sustain significant losses over an extended period of time. They may be able to, but it's not a given IMO, though a lot depends on the particulars of the conflict.

The information warfare angle would be interesting too.

Syt

How much of a question mark are Chinese capabilities, on the whole? They've not exactly been combat tested in recent memory.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2021, 12:44:42 PM
How much of a question mark are Chinese capabilities, on the whole? They've not exactly been combat tested in recent memory.

Well nothing beyond those weird skirmishes they have been having with India.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

There was that decisive victory in 1989, though I don't know whether it should be considered recent enough.

Valmy

They do look sharp in their military parades.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."