News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on January 23, 2021, 03:16:50 PM
So the current Chinese rumour mill is that Xi recently had brain surgery and that it "went well" meaning he survived. However the metaphor used was "a leaking water pipe fixed with tape." He can do things like stringing eight words together,

Huh so now China has its own Trump
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I have a hard time believing such rumors from highly repressive states.  So often these rumors turn out to be completely baseless.

Tonitrus

Does it really matter?  I expect any new boss will be about the same as the old boss.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on January 23, 2021, 04:17:16 PM
I have a hard time believing such rumors from highly repressive states.  So often these rumors turn out to be completely baseless.

Yeah, it could be purely memetic warfare for sure.

On the other hand, listening to "the Chinese rumour mill" put me ahead by about two months when it came to the Coronavirus, and a few days to a week (and more detail) during the Bo Xilai coup attempt when Xi succeeded. So sometimes it turns out to be true.

But yeah, I wouldn't bet any money on any of it. It's more of a hobby really - see what the rumour is and compare it against events later. Which is why I'm posting it here, so I can look back later and go "yeah that was nothing but hot air" or "oh that looks like it was accurate."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 23, 2021, 04:49:03 PM
Does it really matter?  I expect any new boss will be about the same as the old boss.

From your perspective, probably not.

But had someone other than Xi succeeded Hu then things might have turned out different in Hong Kong. The shape of the Uighur genocide might have been different too; could've just been garden variety oppression for example. Or worse too, I suppose.

And if Xi loses control now rather than at some point in the future - given his apparent desire to hang on for longer than CCP convention - then there's no guarantee that his successor will have the same combination of intellectual insufficiency, insecurity, and belligerence and that could in fact have a significant impact even if they're from the same faction and has the same policy objectives. And if a potential successor is from a different clique then the policy objectives could change too.

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on January 23, 2021, 05:44:53 PM

But had someone other than Xi succeeded Wen then things might have turned out different in Hong Kong. The shape of the Uighur genocide might have been different too; could've just been garden variety oppression for example. Or worse too, I suppose.

And if Xi loses control now rather than at some point in the future - given his apparent desire to hang on for longer than CCP convention - then there's no guarantee that his successor will have the same combination of intellectual insufficiency, insecurity, and belligerence and that could in fact have a significant impact even if they're from the same faction and has the same policy objectives. And if a potential successor is from a different clique then the policy objectives could change too.

Xi succeeded Hu, not Wen.  Wen was premier under Hu, and premier is usually either #2 or #3  :secret:

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on January 23, 2021, 05:48:05 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 23, 2021, 05:44:53 PM

But had someone other than Xi succeeded Wen then things might have turned out different in Hong Kong. The shape of the Uighur genocide might have been different too; could've just been garden variety oppression for example. Or worse too, I suppose.

Xi succeeded Hu, not Wen.  Wen was premier under Hu, and premier is usually either #2 or #3  :secret:

Right  :lol:

I'll fix it.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 23, 2021, 04:17:16 PM

You mean how the actual Vladimir Putin died years ago and the current Putin is a series of doubles under control of the shadowy Russian security state? I don't see anything baseless about that. All facts point to it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on January 23, 2021, 05:48:05 PM

Hu's on first?

Valmy

Wen's on second. I don't know is on 3rd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2021, 06:15:21 PM
Wen's on second. I don't know is on 3rd.

Wen's third.  Wu Bangguo, Chairman of the People's Congress, was second.  During Hu's time, premier was #3.  The Politburo Standing Committee has a very strict and clear order.  Everybody knows his place. 

Valmy

Wu? That doesn't work at all.  :(