News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 10:28:53 PM
Regardless of what the Party has done, there is no excuse for anyone to riot.

You're ducking the question.

When Beijing breaks the law by, for example, kidnapping a HK resident, are they thugs and cockroaches?

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 10:45:17 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 10:28:53 PM
Regardless of what the Party has done, there is no excuse for anyone to riot.

You're ducking the question.

When Beijing breaks the law by, for example, kidnapping a HK resident, are they thugs and cockroaches?

Kidnapping is wrong and criminal.  Not sure how that is related to what's happening now. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 10:51:23 PM
Kidnapping is wrong and criminal.  Not sure how that is related to what's happening now.

Both are breaking the law.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 10:57:19 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 10:51:23 PM

Both are breaking the law.

I have to obey the law.  Just because somebody else is breaking the law doesn't give me a legitimate excuse to break the law. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 11:00:49 PM
I have to obey the law.  Just because somebody else is breaking the law doesn't give me a legitimate excuse to break the law.

Absolutely. 

The question is why you call rioters thugs and cockroaches but not Beijing.

Is it something other than breaking the law that merits being called a thug and cockroach?  Perhaps it is an aesthetic judgement.  Maybe you don't like the way they dress, or their haircuts.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 11:04:32 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 11:00:49 PM

Absolutely. 

The question is why you call rioters thugs and cockroaches but not Beijing.

Is it something other than breaking the law that merits being called a thug and cockroach?  Perhaps it is an aesthetic judgement.  Maybe you don't like the way they dress, or their haircuts.

Ok.  If somebody murders someone, he is a murderer.  Is he a thug or a cockroach?  Let's just say I won't use those terms to describe a murderer. 

Why cockroach?  There are a couple of reasons why the term is used by pro-government groups to describe the rioters.  They wear black.  They are difficult to kill/arrest.  There are lots of them. They are everywhere.  These characteristics don't really apply to murderers or kidnappers. 

Admiral Yi

I don't care why pro-government groups use the term, I care why you use the term, and that explanation sounds like bullshit.  and what about thug?

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 11:21:30 PM
I don't care why pro-government groups use the term, I care why you use the term, and that explanation sounds like bullshit.  and what about thug?

I usually use rioters. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 11:32:16 PM
I usually use rioters.

But just now in this thread you didn't.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 11:42:55 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 11:32:16 PM
I usually use rioters.

But just now in this thread you didn't.

You used it first.  I responded :contract:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 11:56:32 PM
You used it first.  I responded :contract:

Eddie used it first.  Your doubled down.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2021, 10:15:36 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2021, 09:40:43 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 06, 2021, 09:19:49 PM
You can't be apolitical while calling one side thugs and cockroaches.

Anybody who riots are thugs and cockroaches, regardless of the political context.

That's an extreme political position.

But you know that.  What you may not know is that your schtick has worn so thin that I'd wish you'd take it back to your little Nazi thread in TBR, where I can ignore it.

You used to be one of my favorite posters.  I don't know whether you were always a massive douchebag and just successfully hid it before, whether you became a giant douchebag, or whether you've decided to pretend to be a giant douchebag for the Social Credit points, but it doesn't matter;  you post like a giant douchebag and I wish you'd do so out of my sight.

Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/09/asia/taiwan-us-restrictions-lifted-intl-hnk/index.html

I'm mixed...as I think normalization of relations with Taiwan and rejection of acceptance of the subjecting "one-China" policy is essential, the danger is that doing so part of the death throes of an administration is likely more dangerous than helpful.

If the CCP were to ever think that they needed the right window to move militarily on Taiwan, it is harder and harder to think that right now, or perhaps right after Biden swears in (presuming they have any doubts about improved relations with him in the seat), is that right time.

Monoriu

I think the world has enough trouble for now.  COVID-19, the economy, an unruly US president, etc.  We really could use less risk now, not more. 

The Minsky Moment

It's pure domestic politics and chalice poisoning - the idea is to put the incoming administration in the untenable position of escalating tension with a nuclear armed rival over the most combustible point of conflict or backing down to China.  They never dared take this step when they had a "president" in office.

Pompeo is a weasely coward.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson