News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Even if you're right about China not invading and occupying a foreign country, any of us could potentially travel to China. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 17, 2020, 08:31:45 PM
Even if you're right about China not invading and occupying a foreign country, any of us could potentially travel to China. :contract:

That's true.  But still, I have a far higher chance of seeing that happen. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2020, 08:23:17 PM
I am the one person here who has a non-zero chance of seeing PLA troops in rioting gear in action before my eyes.

Yeah...none of us are Indian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Indian side claimed the PLA used this weapon in the brawl. 

Sheilbh

Fucking hell PLA :blink: :ph34r:

Sir Lawrence Freedman (Professor of War Studies) pointed out that this isn't the first time China's been involved in unusual forms of border conflict. Apparently during clashes on the Soviet border in 1969, one PLA division lined up and mooned their Soviet opponents over the border :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2020, 09:19:57 AM
Fucking hell PLA :blink: :ph34r:

Sir Lawrence Freedman (Professor of War Studies) pointed out that this isn't the first time China's been involved in unusual forms of border conflict. Apparently during clashes on the Soviet border in 1969, one PLA division lined up and mooned their Soviet opponents over the border :lol:

[Languish] It wasn't a division, it was a reinforced mechanized brigade with an engineering battalion attached from the corps. [/Languish]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Interesting:
QuoteAustralia's government and institutions are being targeted by ongoing sophisticated state-based cyber hacks, Prime Minister Scott Morrison says.

Mr Morrison said the cyber attacks were widespread, covering "all levels of government" as well as essential services and businesses.

He declined to identify a specific state actor and said no major personal data breaches had been made.

The attacks have happened over many months and are increasing, he said.

The prime minister said his announcement on Friday was intended to raise public awareness and to urge businesses to improve their defences.

But he stressed that "malicious" activity was also being seen globally, making it not unique to Australia.

By all accounts the state is China. He said he wasn't making this public to raise alarm, but to raise awareness and had particular warnings about healthcare and service providers needing to improve their security.

Since Australia proposed an international inquiry into covid-19 (an attempt to offer a way out for China and Trump during the mutual accusations phase), China has imposed tariffs, stopped beef imports from Australia and warned Chinese tourists and students against travel to Australia due to racism. Australia has said they won't give into Chinese "bullying". Hopefully there'll be international support for Australia and I think there may need to be more looked at in the West on how to disentangle ourselves a bit from China.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Yes. Our attempts to work with China through mutual benefit and interests. China clearly doesn't want this so yeah it is probably time to look for other options. It is really too bad because if that had worked we really would have created a more peaceful and secure world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Chinese culture is less concerned about an objective truth.  Confucius was all about fixing human relationships.  Harmony is achieved when everybody is virtuous and agrees on who the boss is.  Everything else is subordinate to that goal, including any objective truth that gets in the way.  So all truth commissions are motivated by bad politics. 

grumbler

China is all about hierarchy.  The concept of "win-win" is alien to them, and the government does not believe in comparative advantage.

The key to the next 50 years is going to be managing Chin's decline.  The Chinese government and people are not going to handle it well, but a firm international response will keep them from acting on their frustrations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

QuoteChina has enlisted a squad of mixed martial arts fighters into its border militia ranks, according to state media.

The 20 MMA fighters were from the Enbo Fight Club in Sichuan province in the country's southwest and would form the Plateau Resistance Tibetan Mastiffs to be based in Lhasa, the capital of the Tibet autonomous region, state broadcaster CCTV reported on June 20.

The club is known for producing fighters who go on to compete in international tournaments such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship in the United States.

The announcement came after the deadliest clashes in decades between Chinese and Indian troops along the two countries' contested Himalayan border.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3090840/china-recruits-mma-fighters-tibet-border-militia

Josquius

I thought MMA was hated in China?
I remember the incident some years ago with the MMA fighter wiping the floor with some tai chi master and being destroyed for siding with the west against Chinese culture etc...
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2020, 04:41:18 AM
I thought MMA was hated in China?
I remember the incident some years ago with the MMA fighter wiping the floor with some tai chi master and being destroyed for siding with the west against Chinese culture etc...

I am not aware that MMA is hated.

Yeah, they are still doing these MMA vs kung fu master matches.  Almost invariably, the MMA guys completely dominate the kung fu guys.  I am talking about knocking out their opponents in one punch etc. 

Sheilbh

Again - I do not understand this approach. "Become more dependent on us or there'll be consequences (which will be even graver if once you're more dependent on us)" :blink:
QuoteChina envoy warns of 'consequences' if Britain rejects Huawei
Liu Xiaoming cautions it is 'not in UK's interest' to make an enemy of Beijing
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 06, 2020, 01:09:31 PM
Again - I do not understand this approach. "Become more dependent on us or there'll be consequences (which will be even graver if once you're more dependent on us)" :blink:
QuoteChina envoy warns of 'consequences' if Britain rejects Huawei
Liu Xiaoming cautions it is 'not in UK's interest' to make an enemy of Beijing

Didn't that approach work for the UK against China in the 19th century?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.