Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

A one-player game with just this guy and a bunch of city-states then:

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Not city-states.  Barbarian tribes.  City-states are still technological equals.  China considers everybody else inferior. 

MadImmortalMan

So that made the century of humiliation so much more humiliating I guess.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 25, 2020, 03:22:53 AM
So that made the century of humiliation so much more humiliating I guess.

Yes.  So China's recent rise isn't new.  It is just returning China to its rightful place. 

Josquius

That's the perrenial question with China. To what extent have they got over their old China as ruler of the world view and adapted to the global Post westphalian system and to what extent are they just pretending.
██████
██████
██████

Camerus

I don't think that historical view is that deeply held among modern educated Chinese - and certainly not to the extent that modern nationalists and the propaganda organs of the CCP would like! There is a very deep strand of cynicism about Chinese society, its institutions and governance, especially when compared to those in Western / developed countries.

This manifests itself in several ways, for example in the desire of Chinese elites move their money out of the country to Western safe havens to the extent possible and corresponding capital controls in China of increasing strictness) to send children to education overseas, or even to emigrate entirely if possible. Due to censorship within the country, it's hard to measure these attitudes entirely, but I believe these types of things are pretty good indicators.

Valmy

The elites don't necessary indicate what the regular people think do they? The common people might be very sincere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

Yeah. And in the context of the Chinese government's desperate attempt to save their (even more) tarnished brand after COVID-19 and shift blame away from themselves for the Coronavirus, and instead attribute it to the United States, the US military, or, really, anywhere but themselves it's counterproductive.

From that perspective, expelling the New York Times and other mainstream left of centre outlets is dumb because many of those mainstream news outlets would have been among the most likely to be more sympathetic to China's narrative, as opposed to the more right-wing sources, which,  ever since the Trump election, have generally turned on a dime and become hawkish about all things Chinese.  Drastically heightened concerns about China will have implications for when the crisis is over and companies and states may re-evaluate supply chains, and the security implications of outsourcing of certain items to China.

And all that is quite apart from the worrisome escalation of tension and cultural drift that the move engenders.

Josquius

Isn't there a bunch of idiocy in the US that the (centre) left were the ones behind this?
Because. You know. We totally do that.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on March 18, 2020, 11:26:10 AM
Isn't there a bunch of idiocy in the US that the (centre) left were the ones behind this?
Because. You know. We totally do that.

Probably. But Syt's relatives were insisting it was a non-crisis that was being invented by the center left media to attack the President...while at the same time claiming it is a Chinese biological weapon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

So, what are the chances we'll wake up in a China-dominated world after this?

Agelastus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 20, 2020, 10:25:08 AM

Immediately or in the foreseeable future? Because the probability of the latter has not changed.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 20, 2020, 10:25:08 AM

We were already in one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

It would be nice to see China finally sorting out their wet markets out of this
██████
██████
██████