News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The cynic in me wonders if these guys didn't get any Belt and Road money.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 20, 2022, 02:42:33 PM
I was wondering what the impetus was... I mean, I get the moral imperative but that's typically not that weighty. Aligning more closely with the US makes sense.
I think the moral imperative angle is bigger with the Baltic states or at least that's the impression give. Trying to be good allies with the US makes sense though.

Of course the irony with Slovenia is that's one of the countries there's been concerns about democratic backsliding in Europe and the PM has been accused of all sorts of media intimidation etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2022, 10:00:30 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2022, 10:55:26 AM
I appreciate the sentiment :)

Not that they're taking suggestions from me, but I think calling Tiananmen Square something like "June 4th Square" would work  better. No Chinese official noses are going to be out of joint over something called Tiananmen Square, I don't think, not anymore than an American would be upset about a place called "Washington Square" or "Washington Mall".
"Benedict Arnold Square" might elicit some kind of reaction, though. :P

That would definitely warrant a chuckle, for sure.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

I do hope China try.
Though I guess they've got enough intelligence to know it would just make them look silly.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Not that they're taking suggestions from me, but I think calling Tiananmen Square something like "June 4th Square" would work  better. No Chinese official noses are going to be out of joint over something called Tiananmen Square, I don't think, not anymore than an American would be upset about a place called "Washington Square" or "Washington Mall".
No one really cares about him anymore. If the Chinese want to respond that way they should name streets after Confederate leaders. Jefferson Davis square, Robert E. Lee street, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 23, 2022, 10:41:21 PM

No one really cares about him anymore. If the Chinese want to respond that way they should name streets after Confederate leaders. Jefferson Davis square, Robert E. Lee street, etc.

The idea that someone thinks an American would get bent out of shape over Benedict Arnold is even funnier then the idea of someone naming a street after him.

Even a Confederate would not enrage anyone - it would just be weird...like, why would someone in China care about a Confederate?

I am trying to imagine someone who would actually piss Americans off if another country named a street after them. Nothing really comes to mind though. Maybe you could piss off some Americans if you targetted specific political names, like Trump or Reagan or Obama?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Edward Snowden Boulevard might irk a few people.

Admiral Yi

Tora Tora Tora Avenue

Hanoi Hilton Way

Bin Laden Place

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2022, 01:11:41 AM

Yeah, him Assange and Chelsea Manning may be a bit of a thing. But it wouldn't rise to the same level as "Nation of Taiwan Plaza" or "June 4th Street" would for China.

Josquius

Maybe if they go blunt?
"Fuck the Jews Avenue" or something?
Would be a bit of a cringe for sending post to the embassy.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on January 24, 2022, 02:43:41 AM

Yeah, him Assange and Chelsea Manning may be a bit of a thing. But it wouldn't rise to the same level as "Nation of Taiwan Plaza" or "June 4th Street" would for China.

Want to trigger Republicans and split Democrats? Have an Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Square, and rename connecting roads Ilhan Omar Boulevard and Rashida Tlaib Avenue.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on January 24, 2022, 02:43:41 AM

Derek Chauvin Place?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 24, 2022, 01:50:01 AM
Tora Tora Tora Avenue

Hanoi Hilton Way

Bin Laden Place

None of those would have that element of national guilt though.

Even something like My Lai Avenue would just make most Americans think "Well, yeah, that was definitely fucked up and we cannot complain" mostly, as opposed to the national government getting all butthurt and demanding it be removed.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

They would have the element of national fuck you.