State Department: No secret plan to invade Canada

Started by garbon, September 19, 2012, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

And Grumbler knows.  He was in the US Navy in early 1920's.  He knew these people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 21, 2012, 10:04:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2012, 11:49:35 AM
Reading up on War Plan: Red, it seems there was a Canadian counterpart - Defence Scheme No. 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Scheme_No._1

Apparently the Canadian plan was for a surprise counter-attack, seizing Seattle, Fargo, Albany adn Maine in the early days, then slowly retreating, thus buying time for the inevitable British re-inforcements. :frusty:

Well, that was one Canadian's plan, anyway.  It was never, as far as I can tell, actually adopted, nor were the forces it called for ever created.

In that sense, it was a lot like the claims for "War Plan Red."  The post-1930 elements of WPR appear to be just staff exercises in generic war planning, without any funding or resources.

Well the wiki article wasn't very useful, but I do have a copy of the first source listed, Burton's Marching As To War.  I don't know about "officially adopted, but it was an official government plan, and developed with support of one of the highest ranking Staff Officers.  Resources?  No, not really - and the whole thing was scrapped well before War Plan Red was officially scrapped in the US.

But an amusing little historical anecdote anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.