Obsidian raised a million dollars in a day on Kickstarter

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Now, this is a great coup for Paradox... but couldn't Obsidian secure a bigger publisher? They're not an indie developer working in their pops' garages, you know...  :huh:

Grey Fox

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2014, 11:43:20 AM
Now, this is a great coup for Paradox... but couldn't Obsidian secure a bigger publisher? They're not an indie developer working in their pops' garages, you know...  :huh:

In this day and age bigger would have mean Activision, Ubisoft or EA & that just means more Bullshit to deal with.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Legbiter on March 21, 2014, 09:49:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2014, 11:45:51 PM

Feel free to enlighten me  :)

Eh, it's a lot of backers pledging individually what amounts to sofa cushion change in order to get something like Baldur's Gate to play with. You're basically a patron of the Arts, hoping your Mozart writes something decent to listen to and dosen't just run off to drink and whore the money away.

In which case you've risked little and lost even less as an individual.

I have an even better plan: let others pay Mozart, then listen to it for free when it comes out :contract:

sbr

Quote from: Monoriu on March 21, 2014, 06:51:11 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 21, 2014, 09:49:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2014, 11:45:51 PM

Feel free to enlighten me  :)

Eh, it's a lot of backers pledging individually what amounts to sofa cushion change in order to get something like Baldur's Gate to play with. You're basically a patron of the Arts, hoping your Mozart writes something decent to listen to and dosen't just run off to drink and whore the money away.

In which case you've risked little and lost even less as an individual.

I have an even better plan: let others pay Mozart, then listen to it for free when it comes out :contract:

That works fine until no one pays, then no one gets anything for free or otherwise.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on September 19, 2012, 12:55:40 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 18, 2012, 06:56:09 PM
My understanding is Obsidian didn't do too well out of New Vegas, because they didn't get a high enough Metacritic review to make a bonus they would have in their contract, but I read that here and so it could be wrong.

That was my understanding as well, but the lesson to be learned there is not to agree to MOEs like that, not to stop making games with the contractee.  Obsidian lost the bonus because they signed a contract with a clause that made it too hard to earn the bonus.  That's on them.

Publishers tend to have a lot more power in those kind of contract negotiations. Or they used to. Maybe it will change; certainly the industry is changing.

EDIT: didn't notice the date on the post I responded to...

Jacob

I ran into a colleague of mine at GDC who's now pretty senior at Obsidian... to me it sounded like the arrangement with Paradox was pretty good.

Just because Activision, EA, Ubisoft or whoever are bigger doesn't mean the terms of the deal are better. Perhaps the meta critic score doesn't factor into the revenue with the Paradox deal, for example.

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2014, 11:45:51 PMFeel free to enlighten me  :)

The reputational risk is too high.

If you are a senior decision maker at Obsidian you have a direct ownership stake in the company. Future potential revenue from legitimate operations outweigh the roughly $1M to be gained from bamboozling the public. Ultimately they're hoping to put the studio in a position where it's worth several hundred million dollars to a potential acquirer (whether they choose to cash out that way, or to keep control of the company and profit as operators).

Basically, it would be the equivalent of you risking the rest of your career and a your pension by embezzling US$50K from your employer. Sure, it's a nice amount of money, but the damage to your future prospects when the inevitable consequences manifest makes it not worth it.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 21, 2014, 06:51:11 PM

Your plan has failed for years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2014, 10:13:26 PM

I ran into a colleague of mine at GDC who's now pretty senior at Obsidian... to me it sounded like the arrangement with Paradox was pretty good.

Just because Activision, EA, Ubisoft or whoever are bigger doesn't mean the terms of the deal are better. Perhaps the  score doesn't factor into the revenue with the Paradox deal, for example.

Aye, the metacritic clause is some serious bullshit if true. I understand videogame sales are really review-driven (unlike movies), but couldn't they just tie the bonus to gross sales? That's what it's about, after all.

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2014, 04:06:50 AM
Aye, the metacritic clause is some serious bullshit if true. I understand videogame sales are really review-driven (unlike movies), but couldn't they just tie the bonus to gross sales? That's what it's about, after all.

I don't know what the current state is as I've been out of console games for a bit now, but metacritic clauses were pretty widespread. In fact, I think they were pretty much standard when dealing with publishers etc.

I think the thing is they're the closest thing to an "objective" metric you can get on the quality for a game for the MBA type senior executives who care about Key Performance Indicators (and that's many of them at the big publishers). Thus the bonus and incentive structures for mid-level executives are tied to those, and down it flows from there.

Razgovory

I sorta assumed that that the idea was to get picked up by a publisher from the beginning.  Though after seeing several projects come out from kickstarter I dropped that assumption.  I've noticed that Paradox as a publisher goes in for a lot of longshots.  Some work out well and make money (like Magicka), others fail miserably such as that that steampunk Gettysburg game.  I do like to see them take a risk though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2014, 11:32:45 AM
I sorta assumed that that the idea was to get picked up by a publisher from the beginning.  Though after seeing several projects come out from kickstarter I dropped that assumption.  I've noticed that Paradox as a publisher goes in for a lot of longshots.  Some work out well and make money (like Magicka), others fail miserably such as that that steampunk Gettysburg game.  I do like to see them take a risk though.

Game publishing is pretty broken these days. Everyone, including publishers, are looking at alternative models while trying to milk the old one if they can.

Personally, I like the moves Paradox are making.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2014, 04:06:50 AM
It seems weird that movies have seen critics more undermined because of social media and online reviews (with the exception of Ide, whose reviews only undermine himself) than a video games.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Ide doesn't write reviews, he writes dissertations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I've pretty much stopped looking at review scores and instead look at the reviews themselves and user feedback/let's plays instead. I find those much more informative than a "87%" or "8.5/10" ratings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.