Obsidian raised a million dollars in a day on Kickstarter

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2014, 06:13:46 PM
Oh dear Paradox is getting involved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fignwDZy-SI

The Paradox CEO cant get through a minute of introductory remarks without constantly looking down at his speaking notes?

sbr

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on March 20, 2014, 10:45:09 AM
Was he speaking in his native language or English?

English.  If a CEO cant speak English then he should have someone else do an English language presentation ;)

Josquius

One thought about kickstarer and where it could be better than pre-existing
Methods: it really does help in the fight against piracy.
With conventional publishing even if you love a developer the temptation is too easy for many.
With kickstarter they feel more of a need to put their money down since the game existing depends on it
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

This is insane.  Why would anyone want to invest in this?  What if those guys take the money and disappear?

Habbaku

Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2014, 11:29:32 PM
This is insane.  Why would anyone want to invest in this?  What if those guys take the money and disappear?

:huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2014, 11:31:36 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2014, 11:29:32 PM

:huh:

Feel free to enlighten me  :)

Habbaku

Why do you think there's a greater than 0% chance of established industry professionals "tak(ing) the money and disappear(ing)"?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2014, 11:57:53 PM
Why do you think there's a greater than 0% chance of established industry professionals "tak(ing) the money and disappear(ing)"?

Because it isn't unheard of for established industry professionals to commit fraud or other crimes.  US$3/4 million is not a small amount of money and some people may decide to take it. 

Alternatively, one can presumably make a really crappy game with only a small portion of the funds.  Then pocket the difference.  As salary.  Most probably legal and not much investors can do about it. 

And I really wonder why I should invest in the game before it comes out.  The software industry is full of vapourware.  Why not wait until the game comes out?

Zanza

I found the concept interesting enough to risk my $25.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 21, 2014, 01:16:46 AM
And I really wonder why I should invest in the game before it comes out.  The software industry is full of vapourware.  Why not wait until the game comes out?

Because the game would never get made otherwise?  This was pretty much the last gasp of the traditional RPG crowd.  Also this company was working on South Park while this was going on so it was unlikely they would just vanish with a few million.  A few million is not a lot of money anymore, or at least not enough for dozens and dozens of people to live on right after they destroy their careers.

But yeah everybody who invests in a kickstarter game understands there is a very real chance the game never actually gets made.  But Paradox is now publishing the game so now we can be ASSURED it comes on schedule and bug free  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Because for an established game company with excellent public opinion (that it depends on) releasing a substandard game off of a kickstarter would pretty much ruin the company.  The public relations blowback would be much worse than for a lousy game financed some other way.

Legbiter

Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2014, 11:45:51 PM

Feel free to enlighten me  :)

Eh, it's a lot of backers pledging individually what amounts to sofa cushion change in order to get something like Baldur's Gate to play with. You're basically a patron of the Arts, hoping your Mozart writes something decent to listen to and dosen't just run off to drink and whore the money away.

In which case you've risked little and lost even less as an individual.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.