Dragon Age 3: Inquisition officially announced

Started by viper37, September 18, 2012, 01:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

So, DA3 is coming.  We knew that.  Now we know the title, and the plot: Orlais is at war with itself.  Ferelden is in Chaos.  The Templars have become religious zealots quick to kill any dissenters.  The mages have rebelled in protest.   The last of the Chantry tries to find a peaceful solution to the conflict, only to be killed by a demon ambush.  Seeing there is a darker force at work here, a new movement emerge: The Inquisition.  You play the Inquisitor.  You must marshall your forces and save the world from itself.

We've been promised 'no more re-used areas'.  Duh.  I thought this was a given.  That a company sunk so low as to think no one would be bothered by this "oversight" is beyond belief.
Other than that, they use the Frostbite 2 engine, meaning full 64 bit and DX11 support.  It's supposed to allow them to make huge, open areas similar to Skyrim and Oblivion.

On a positive note, I see that the developpers' blog is bilingual.  Neil must have had an attack, so I think I'll pre-order the game just for that ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Frankly I am a bit disappointed with DA2.  The game world is far too small.

Syt

In other news, Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka have announced they're leaving Bioware.

Muzyka:
Quote"I feel the need now to move on to a new chapter in my career. With the growth of BioWare to multiple locations as part of a public company, following two decades of multiple successful product launches across many platforms and business models, I've largely personally achieved what I wanted in videogames; I now desire to take on a brand new entrepreneurial challenge. I believe strongly in the power of free enterprise to enable sustainable change, so my next 'chapter' will likely focus on an entirely new industry, something exciting, different and frankly downright scary – investing in and mentoring new entrepreneurs, and more specifically, the field of social/impact investing."

Zeschuck:
Quote"This decision isn't without significant pain and regret, but it's also something I know I need to do, for myself and my family. I've reached an unexpected point in my life where I no longer have the passion that I once did for the company, for the games, and for the challenge of creation."

"After my departure I'm going to be spending significant time with family and friends, as well as pursuing some personal passion-driven projects related to craft beer. The main project I will be working on is a web-based interview show called The Beer Diaries where I interview notable brewers and showcase their beers. If things go well, I'll work on other beer-related shows, apps and projects. If not, I'll have drunk a lot of tasty beers and may be back in games or even something else completely different. Ultimately time will tell."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Goddamnit.

Between this, Guild Wars 2, CK2: Legacy of Rome and EU4, I'm fucking stoked about computer gaming again.

And all are titles with a history of either simultaneous Mac releases or fast Mac ports so no more silliness with bootcamp, too.

garbon

The video demos for this look a lot like Skyrim. I think the devs have said they were greatly inspired by that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fno4Nrz1wjw
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Meh - looks too much like a console game/Asian manga game with stats in the air and too many flashing lights.  I'll pass.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2014, 08:47:40 AM
The video demos for this look a lot like Skyrim. I think the devs have said they were EA was greatly inspired by that game's sales.

Last thing we need is for Bioware to start imitating Bethesda.  But I cannot say I am surprised.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Scipio

Quote from: Grallon on July 26, 2014, 10:48:26 AM
Meh - looks too much like a console game/Asian manga game with stats in the air and too many flashing lights.  I'll pass.

G.
If it's true to form, you'll be able to disable that natively.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Norgy

After playing the other two, I feel unexcited about this. I want a new TES or Fallout game instead.

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on July 26, 2014, 04:10:05 PM
After playing the other two, I feel unexcited about this.

I'm cautiously optimistic that they will avoid the mistakes of the 2nd one. I really enjoyed part 1.

Quote from: Norgy on July 26, 2014, 04:10:05 PMI want a new TES or Fallout game instead.

Given the studio, that seems neither here nor there. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Bioware games are okay, but they seem to be getting rid of the rails, which is a big step forward for them.  If they can combine an interesting open world space with a compelling story line (and most of their series have at least started with interesting story lines), they could have a real winner.  I've generally stopped after the first games in their game series, because reviews usually indicated that the follow-on games' stories were not as good, and, when the game is on rails, stories are all they have.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

See the issue I have with the TES/Fallout games is one that I think Viper mentioned. Typically, I don't think their open world is compelling enough to make up for the fact that their stories are rather lackluster. Skyrim did feel like a breakthrough on that front though.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2014, 10:20:35 PM
See the issue I have with the TES/Fallout games is one that I think Viper mentioned. Typically, I don't think their open world is compelling enough to make up for the fact that their stories are rather lackluster. Skyrim did feel like a breakthrough on that front though.

Yeah, the Bethesda games tend to start out where the Bioware games end up in the second or third game. If Bioware can combine the "ignore the main quests if you want to" style of Bethesda with a main quest worth pursuing, that would really appeal to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Of course the trick there will be to combine a high stakes quest with the freedom to ignore it for a while. Many side quests come with "if you get around to it", but the main quest will normally a big calamity that threatens the game world's order and is a matter of high urgency. And then you head off to spend the next few in game weeks spelunking in ancient caves.

Beth gets around that by giving you an inoccuous start (go and talk to this guy or similar), but not putting much pressure on the player about the urgency of the task, so it doesn't feel too bad if you ignore the main quest for a while.

Bioware isn't always as good at that. "Oh my god, the Geth are taking over our colonies!" "Yeah, I'll get to it after I've checked a couple more planets for mummified corpses and crashed satellites."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Norgy on July 26, 2014, 04:10:05 PM
After playing the other two, I feel unexcited about this. I want a new TES or Fallout game instead.
+1
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points